bearing problem replacing RS Dart3 for Marzocchi 44 TST2

Mandrick
Mandrick Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All
Having read lots of info on here I settled on a 2011 Cube Attention which I bought recently.
I currently have the standard RockShox Dart3 forks using the headset as originally comes with the bike
Headset I believe is an FSA No.10 semi-integrated.
A friend has given me a set of Marzocchi 44 TST2 forks which we tried to install last night.

Having taken the Rockshox off it appears they have a metal bulgy section on the top of the fork/bottom of the stem (looks like a large ring with the smaller one sat on top of it) which all is part of the fork so can't be removed.

Dart3a.JPG

There is a plastic ring (of sorts) that goes over this and the bearings sit on top of that, then it all fits snuggly onto the bottom of the headset.

The issue is the Marzocchi has no such taper and is a straight stem right to where the upright stem meets the forks itself.

Having put the forks in anyway (using the plastic spacer ring as well to see what'd happen with the bearings sat on top as they were in the Rockshox) the results mean the bearings are not sitting correctly and the fork does not meet
with the bottom of the headset. The plastic spacer pokes out, isn't flush and simply is erm....wrong.
The steering is affected obviously and it makes horrible noises as you'd expect.

Headset01.JPG

Took it all off and put the rockshox back on for now.

I've spent all last night searching forums, googling and everything else I can think of. I can't seem to find any information on what might help me solve this or even identify what this plastic spacer part is called to get me started (is it a cup/cap?).The nearest I could find was an exploded diagram on wikpedia but honestly I'm still no nearer.

Read on some forum (searched so many couldn't tell you which one) the FSA is normal sized at the top and oversized at the bottom. not sure if that helps.

Can anyone help me to understand what i need to get the forks to fit the headset I have (specific parts would be ideal if possible), can i get a different spacer to sit tte bearings on or do I really need to get researching a new headset entirely to have the new forks to fit properly?
If so where do i start with that? About £40-50 would be my maximum at the moment.

Sorry its a long first-ever post but hopefully that is everything I can offer in terms of info so hoping that's enough.
I have no idea what I'm talking about so any info in full blown noob language is very welcomed!

Many thanks in advance.
M

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mandrick wrote:
    Having taken the Rockshox off it appears they have a metal bulgy section on the top of the fork/bottom of the stem (looks like a large ring with the smaller one sat on top of it) which all is part of the fork so can't be removed.

Dart3a.JPG
    That bulgy bit is the crown race and comes off using a screwdrievr or similar in the handily placed slot just below it, then put it on your new forks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mandrick
    1. that is amazing response time - i'm truly shocked (and very impressed!)
    2. Really that easy? We cleaned it up thinking it should come off but it looked welded on. I'll give it a go then.
    And seems a fix at no cost. Even better!

Many thanks for your help and at least now I know what part I'm actually looking at.
    Brilliant!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    1 & 2 - Yes, beginner is quite correct.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Mandrick
    You guys have no idea how happy you've made me. Thanks to you both.
  • The Rookie
    Pleasure, it's a common newcomer mistake to not 'get' the crown race, once bought a set of forks that came with the race left on, posted them back to the seller or he was having to fund a new headset that would cost more than the he sold me the forks for!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mandrick
    Haha! Sound like something I'd do (noting that for future reference!).

So far my main probs were getting the RockShox out in the first place. Jammed solid. People and videos just saying "it simply falls out". Well it didn't. It refused point blank. Other forum posts said "what it with a hammer what harm can it do". Not fancying that (and after a few gente-ish taps) nothing.
    So reverted to hitting the stem on the side not the top using a piece of softwood between.
    Four medium taps o nteh wood and the fork released.
    That released the ring-thing that was holding it in the headset)
    Lots of time wasted looking for the answer to that one, to then stumble at the Crown Race hurdle.

So far I like these fixes. A hammer and screwdriver.
    This MTB-ing is my sort of 'precision' engineering!! :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    top tip have a look in the FAQs above. and read Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mandrick
    Hi Nick
    Did check them before posting for this particular one (but only found them today so wouldn't have seen them for prior problems) :)
    Def. be looking at the air fork sag thing now which I noted was in there.
    Loadsa good topics that'll be very useful for me in the future I'm sure. not looked at Parktools but I know the pump i used of theirs last week was very different to whatever one I had on my diamond back ascent 16 years ago!
    Things have certainly come on a bit since then! Just glad I've rediscovered it. Took two years of saving but got there in the end.
  • Mandrick
    Sorry to bring up an old post but I thought you might be interested to see the finished article which I couldn't have done without your responses.
    Always like to finish a thread properly rather than just ask for help and disappear.

newforks.jpg

27june13.jpg

Thanks again.
    M
  • The Rookie
    Looking schweet.....