Dogs and wildlife

simonhead
simonhead Posts: 1,399
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
To balance the anti cat people my sisters dog was pleased as punch yesterday after it came back with a rabbit it had killed. Its a labrador (non native to the UK) and this isnt the first time it has caught and killed stuff (pheasants, a huge rat and loads of rabbits), it is not nurtured to kill but this is clearly instinct. Thoughts?
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They're not allowed to roam around, are they. Most dogs are supervised.

I wouldn't be too happy with my dog if it came back with a kill.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Not sure a dog killing a rabbit equates to cats MURDERING birdlife on a GENOCIDAL scale.

More seriously, and as an aside I have a vegan tree hugging friend on inanebook who recently asked if anyone had a cat he could borrow as he had a mouse problem. He didn't want to use traps as he thought them inhumane and had heard cats scare mice away. I did want to point out that a giant creature, capturing, torturing, killing and leaving the bodies of my family behind the sofa might scare me away too... instead I just un-friended him.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    MrSweary wrote:
    Not sure a dog killing a rabbit equates to cats MURDERING birdlife on a GENOCIDAL scale.
    So...I exaggerated a bit.... :lol:

My main issue about pets (all pets) is that they are far too easy to get hold of by people who don't really know how to look after them or who have no idea what a commitment they are. My kids went through the "Can I have a rabbit, guinea pig, hamster, dog, etc etc" phase. I just knew they wouldn't sustain their interest enough to look after them properly. (I allowed them (us) to look after friends guinea pigs for 2 weeks and they soon lost interest once they realised they had to clean up their sh1t every day....job done)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    My Springer once brought me back a live rabbit. Dropped it at my feet, sat awaiting praise and adulation, tail wagging, panting happily as the rabbit ran off into the bushes. :roll:

On another occasion she brought me a dead pigeon she'd found with the same act as my Lab ate it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • MrSweary
    My Springer once brought me back a live rabbit. Dropped it at my feet, sat awaiting praise and adulation, tail wagging, panting happily as the rabbit ran off into the bushes. :roll:

On another occasion she brought me a dead pigeon she'd found with the same act as my Lab ate it.

Found your problem.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Dogs are known to kill children. I don't recall any such incidents with domestic cats.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • MrSweary
    Daz555 wrote:
    Dogs are known to kill children. I don't recall any such incidents with domestic cats.

To be honest I'd try trolling a more active thread if you really want some success.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    MrSweary wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

To be honest I'd try trolling a more active thread if you really want some success.

I don't see this as a Troll. I've been bitten twice cycling through the local woods (same dog owner) and am very wary of dogs when they approach my young children.

As for wildlife, dogs cause a lot of problems for ground nesting birds in my area, generally running around and trampling nests and eggs etc. Their owners are probably oblivious to the damage caused............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Daz555 wrote:

Ssshhhhh your not allowed to mention that, or dog owners will be forced to come up with lame excuses why its not the dogs, but the owners fault :shock:
    In that case, lets not take a chance, lets stop people owning dogs :wink:
  • Meh. Animals spend a lot of time killing each other. I mean, I'm one, and like plenty albeit indirectly*.
    MrSweary wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    How's that considered trolling? Surely it's merely a case of stating a fact.

* Excludes roadkill, or which I have a number, including a very large domestic cat.
    Mangeur
  • disgruntledgoat
    Pituophis wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Ssshhhhh your not allowed to mention that, or dog owners will be forced to come up with lame excuses why its not the dogs, but the owners fault :shock:

If you're happy to stop people owning cows, zoos, cars, knives, stairs, bikes and everything else that kills somebody at any point in the history of man.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Dogs stink. End of.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • simonhead
    goonz wrote:
    Dogs stink. End of.

if you walk into a house where there are dogs you can normally tell. Even little dogs have that aroma that smells like the dust bag of a vacuum cleaner mixed with stagnant pond water.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    simonhead wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Dogs stink. End of.

if you walk into a house where there are dogs you can normally tell. Even little dogs have that aroma that smells like the dust bag of a vacuum cleaner mixed with stagnant pond water.

There's nothing like the smell of wet dog - I have 3 and when they jump in the stream/trough/wet grass, do they ever pen and ink.... yet when we try to give them a bath - all hell breaks loose.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Pituophis wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

If you're happy to stop people owning cows, zoos, cars, knives, stairs, bikes and everything else that kills somebody at any point in the history of man.

To be honest, I thought the last bit was quite obviously a jest, I don't really like to tell people what they can and cannot do in the real world, but.....

Surely you cannot help but have noticed that every time a certain type of dog, owned in the main (but not exclusively in the case of Staffys) by a specific type of "local character", kills or seriously maims a person (usually a child as it happens) hoards of dog lovers jump up in defence of these breeds, telling us "its not the breed, its the owners fault!"
    Of course they are safe in the knowledge that statistically, it won't be their own child that their prized "status symbol" kills if it gets a bit of a cob on one day, but someone else' :wink:
    Nobody has EVER come back with a workable solution when I ask what we should do about the owners then :shock:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    MrSweary wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

It was not a troll. A quick google will reveal a number of tragic cases of children being killed by dogs. I was simply stating a fact - and let's face it, it was hardly a revelation! :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Teach your children to kill dogs. It's pretty straightforward and redresses the balance
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285

Songbird populations are in decline whereas the population of homo sapiens is increasing from already troubling levels. More dogs required, or should we be encouraging the widespread adoption of big cats, bear etc as pets?
  • simonhead
    DesB3rd wrote:

Songbird populations are in decline whereas the population of homo sapiens is increasing from already troubling levels. More dogs required, or should we be encouraging the widespread adoption of big cats, bear etc as pets?

I have always wanted a leopard, would also be useful for the garage security question.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Judging by the frequency of posts on this thread and the cat thread, people clearly hate cats more than dogs.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • disgruntledgoat
    That's because if they were big enough they'd kill and eat you.

@gietvangent
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    simonhead wrote:
    DesB3rd wrote:

I have always wanted a leopard, would also be useful for the garage security question.

Is that because you want a legitimate reason to have a sign on your gate stating, 'Beware Of The Leopard'?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    simonhead wrote:
    DesB3rd wrote:

No. You would need a Jaguar for that. :oops: