Bottom bracket woes

3Bears
3Bears Posts: 65
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2011 specialized enduro, and am having BB trouble.

I replaced the GXP BB with a fresh one as the non drive side had seized. The new BB was full of the blue sram grease, so I didn't bother added any more.

After two weeks of mostly dry riding (the odd shower and one careful rinse with garden hose), I thought I'd take a look make sure it was OK.

The non drive side was very notchy and rough, not smooth at all. No dirt, that I could see, and lots of grease. The bottom bracket was full of water (no drain hole). A great big pool of it.

Drive side was smooth and full of grease.

What's going on?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you using the hose. after getting a bike wet it is always good to get any water out of the frame.

you did fit the sleeve and grease its sliding surfaces? Sram manual also sugests adding more grease on assembly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 3Bears
    3Bears Posts: 65
    I've edited my post, I made a mistake - both GXP cups had plenty of grease.

I did check them before assembly, lots of blue grease, but anyway, that grease is still there, but the non drive side is still very rough and notchy after only two weeks. I don't want to buy another BB and have the same thing happen.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So did you fit the sleeve? If the riding is dry the water came from somewhere, the hose perhaps?

If water is laying in the BB shell it will wreck the bearings, either don't allow water in or drain it out before storing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.