Moving to the land of bicycles.

mattbass789
mattbass789 Posts: 355
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
Hi All,

Going out on a bit of limb here, but here goes.

My other half, the better half of me let it be said, recently was placed out in Amsterdam for work. She's loving it over there, cycling to work to the shops to nightclubs and so on. In short it is looking like she is going to be out there for at least another year. Then longer, if possible.

My questions are:
Does anyone know the best ways of going about emigrating? It's never something I've considered but am very excited by.
Does anyone know of the best ways to find work. I graduated from uni in 2012, from a marketing degree, just under a year ago. Have been working in the sport/health industry for the last 6 months, for a pan european company. Have a year's internship as part of my degree under my belt, for an international firm. and have done consultancy work alongside.

Does anyone have any other experience in doing this?

Really welcome any thoughts, advice or people's experience in this area.
Thanks
Matt.
“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Does your current employer have an office in Amsterdam that you could ask to be transferred to?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Holland is a very easy place to live and work in. That being said unless you are in a technical industry (oil and gas for example) employers will expect you to learn Dutch. Start learning now. build up connections through joining professional groups on linked in and start listing British companies with a major presence in the area.mail me if you need any further help or want your cv critiqued
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • mattbass789
    Not giving too much info, but they do have places in Holland, even in Amsterdam. But there's no chance of a job transfer as my position is firmly rooted in the UK. Any chances in Holland would be ops/management based that I would not be able to do; on my levels of experience anyway.

Thank's simon! Really appreciate the help.
    I'll maybe be in touch, already started with learning Dutch. Though there seems to be a difference of opinion in having to learn the language. Is it required? or just an expectation?

@mattbeedham
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Matt really depends on the company but showing the willingness Will really help.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • mattbass789
    Ok, well I want to learn the language anyway. Out of respect. I wouldn't expect to go out there and expect everyone to talk English, just because they can.

Incidentally, my other half is in the Oil and Gas industry.

@mattbeedham
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I'm learning Dutch at the moment as part of a crazy scheme to move there (or Belgium)... And it's really not that bad. I say this as a man who has failed at French and Italian.

PM me if you need any recommendations for textbooks etc
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I live in NL and don't speak Dutch, though my wife is learning it. A smattering is useful as although many people do speak English some are reluctant and others don't speak a lot. I've picked up quite a bit by being here, but you do need lessons to become able to hold a conversation....

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mattbass789
    Thanks all.

I'm actually using Rosetta Stone.
    I struggled with French at school and have tried with Italian since then but not stuck with it. Something about Dutch though has stayed with me. And i'm going well. Not yet conversation stuff, but I'm able to tell people my bicycle is black, which is important, right?

@mattbeedham
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,m in the oil and gas industry but am fluent in Dutch. Am self taught never had a lesson or looked in a book. Just picked it up as i went along.It does help enormously if you learn the language for obvious reasons.If you are to be based in Amsterdam there should be classes you can attend if you want to go that route.
    If you want to move out here you firstly will need a permanent address in the Netherlands and register yourself at the town hall in which ever council area you are going to live in. You then need to register with the authorities.Look on this site for further info.http://www.ind.nl/EN/Pages/default.aspx.
    If you need any more help just ask.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura