Help me find the right headset

brabus73s
brabus73s Posts: 4
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I have recently bought a second hand specialized hard rock with a dodgy headset and a bit too short steer tube.
I am now trying to find the same 'low profile' type headset it currently has because this one is just broken and might me missing some parts:
251c10
c5eb9

The other issue is that the head tube is too short for the stem because only the bottom screw of the stem clamp is holding onto the tube which i will attempt to fix by using a 5mm spacer ring instead of the current 10mm one and a shorter stem. The fork is a marzocci bomber with 120mm travel. Does anyone know of stems shorter then 5cm?
8d37f3
77b3

thank you for your help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the year is? Spesh do list the headsets on their site.

does it have cups? if yes it is a ZS standard if no then an IS standard. more info can be found on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder use this to find the correct headset!
    As for the stem, would probably best to take your bike to your LBS and try a few stems to find the correct fit.
    Hope that helps
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    For a start, you don't need any spacers, so get rid of it and gain 2-3mm straight away.

The lowest stack height I've seen for any stem is 38mm, but that's a RaceFace D2 downhill stem which is quite a serious lump of metal.

Your headset is probably just a standard internal Cane Creek. I'm sure any Specialized dealer can help you out, if you can't find any part numbers on the headset or bearings. Check Park Tools or Chris King websites for a good list of headset formats, as there are a few which can be confusing.

Oh, and don't ride that bike with such little contact between the stem and steerer.....as if you need telling :wink:
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    There are plenty of stems from 30-35mm. PRO FRS is about 35mm,short and cheap. Otherwise just google "low stack stem".
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Superstar's Zephir has a 35mm stack

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=416

With that and getting rid of that spacer you'll have shaved off about 15mm
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    but it looks like it has a bitsa headset so when the correct parts are fitted it will go back up again.

the fork is not original and the headset is missing lots of parts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • brabus73s
    Hi again,

I used the park tool size finder and the results are:
    Top Frame Standard:
    SHIS:44 - 1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard
    Bottom Frame Standard:
    No Matching Bottom Standards were found.
    Steerer:
    SHIS:28.6|30 - 1-1/8" Standard

I'm still not sure what exactly is needed so i took the bike apart and here are the pictures also the worn bit can be seen also:
    http://imgur.com/a/CD0t5#0
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    99% certain the bottom is also a 44mm, did you measure it right?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    brabus73s wrote:
    Hi again,

I used the park tool size finder and the results are:
    Top Frame Standard:
    SHIS:44 - 1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard
    Bottom Frame Standard:
    No Matching Bottom Standards were found.
    Steerer:

I'm still not sure what exactly is needed so i took the bike apart and here are the pictures also the worn bit can be seen also:
    http://imgur.com/a/CD0t5#0
    so back to my first reply.
    and the year is?
  • nicklouse
    ok i have just had a look at the pictures. the person (if i can call them that) needs to read Parktools as they have no idea what they are doing.

OOkiPGoh.jpg

to be honest take it to a bike shop and ask then to sort it out as you need a new and correct headset.
  • brabus73s
    Hello,
    The bike is a specialized rock hopper disc from 2007
    The pictures i posted were after i took the headset apart after i bought the bike, i didn't do all that damage.
    I bought a vernier caliper today and took the following measurements
    head tube outside diameter is 46mm
    head tube internal diameter is about 41.5mm
    head tube length is 140mm
    top head tube bore depth is about 3mm
    bottom head tube bore depth is 7mm
    diameter of the steer tube is 28.5mm
    and the diameter of the fork crown is 36mm.

I think the previous owner of this bike had random parts lying around and just put them together just to sell the bike hence it's low price which attracted me hehe.

the headset fit finder outputs this which i don't believe is true:
    Top Frame Standard:
    SHIS:IS41 - 1-1/8" Cane Creek Integrated IS Standard

Bottom Frame Standard:
    1-1/8" TH-Deep Integrated IS Standard

Steerer:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Somebody poured a lot of love into that bike - what do the stanchions look like?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    brabus73s wrote:
    Hello,
    The bike is a specialized rock hopper disc from 2007
    no it is not.

I believe it is a 2010 SL Pro. which has had a totally inappropriate headset jammed into it. the fork and stem and bars I bet have been taken off another bike and made to "work".

so take it to a bike shop and see it the frame is save-able.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... lpro#specs