Problem with Rock Shox SID RL Help!!!

swardchill
swardchill Posts: 86
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
OK chaps I posted a while ago about my forks not locking out and making a squeeking noise when I push down with the poploc on, I fiddled with the pressures bit it made no difference. Now they are not returning to 100mm, they sit between 75-80mm. This first started after I cleaned my bike and there could be a possibility that some degreaser got on the stantion but I am not certain. I have searched everywhere for somewhere to take the bike to get them serviced but am struggling to find someone near Notts or Derby and Decathlons fork and brake service excludes air forks and hydraulic brakes. I just wondered if it is easy to service and clean these myself and the items I would need to buy(please bare in mind that I am quite usless at anything manual) of if any of you would like to offer your services for a price or know of anywhere near me you could recommend. Cheers Simon

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Send them off to Loco Tuning, or TF Tuned. Prices on their websites.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bear in mind that they won't sit at 100mm becuase you have negative air, if you've added more they'll got shorter, could still be fine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good point - maybe instead of fiddling with they just need adjusting properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swardchill
    Thanks for the help chaps, I have released all of the air and the forks have extended fully back out. I then pumped them up to 130 psi as the guide states for 90kg weight and it sucks them back down. Does this happen on everyones? The forks are dual air and it states the pressure for the + and - but as there is only the pump valve i trust there is no adjustment required seperately. also lock out is still not working properly as I can still push them down substantially more than my mates recons. Cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forget the guides, set them by sag ie 25%.

Though it does sound like they need a service is the lockout is failing too.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    The lock out isn't actually a lock out. It just adjusts the compression to make the fork very stiff. It will still move when 'locked out'. Recons have a physical lock out which stops the fork moving at all. Both systems have up and down sides (pun intended).

Oh and adding negative air will suck the fork in to its travel. As said above. You can remove air from the neg chamber to regain your full travel but you will encourage a sharper top out when the fork extends after a hit. I have a dual air Reba.
  • supersonic
    It can be set up to lock out - the compression dial when turned fully clockwise completely covers the damper orifice. The floodgate actuation rod then displaces it. So if nothing has changed it sound like there could be a problem.
  • Twelly
    Is the Sid lock out different to Reba then?
  • supersonic
    They are the same in function. Some have fixed floodgate, some are adjustable.
  • swardchill
    Well the forks locked out fine when I first got the bike and did not make the wheeze they do now when I push down when locked on. Right looks like I am going to have to learn how to service them myself. First off is it hard? I don't mind it taking time just as long as there is nothing too technical. I assume i will need to buy this http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Sh ... /SID-Parts
    Are there any other items/tools i will need. Also can you point me in the direction of an idiot proof guide for the SID's. I suppose its best to learn sometime. Thanks for all of the advice already offered. Cheers Simon
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Might be a daft question, but which order are you pumping the +ve and -ve chambers?
  • swardchill
    No mate that is not a daft question if you are asking a numpty like me. I have only just found there is a valve on the top as well as the bottom after looking at the servicing guide so will give the pressures a try in both tomorrow before I no doubt end up breaking my shocks. Should i do the top or the bottom first? Thanks.
  • Twelly
    Inflate top (+) first then bottom (-)

or Deflate bottom (-) first then top (+)

Put them both at the same pressure (look at guide on the back of the fork) then ride and adjust as needed
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    swardchill wrote:
    No mate that is not a daft question if you are asking a numpty like me. I have only just found there is a valve on the top as well as the bottom after looking at the servicing guide so will give the pressures a try in both tomorrow before I no doubt end up breaking my shocks. Should i do the top or the bottom first? Thanks.

I thought that was the case from the way your question was worded. It's taken me a couple of rides of fiddling to get the right + and - balance on my Rebas, but now I have they are superb. I think I've got about 5psi less in the -ve now, but just keep experimenting with them until you get happy.
  • swardchill
    Thanks for the help lads, fiddled as much as I can with the pressures but still won't lock out. Wheezes when I push down with lock on so it must be a seal so looks like a service is required.
  • supersonic
    Do you have a Floodgate adjuster inside the lockout/compression dial?
  • swardchill
    Is that the red knob on the underside of the other fork?
  • supersonic
    That's the rebound adjuster.

Some SIDs have a floodgate adjuster in the middle of the lockout dial.

I'd download the manual.