upgrade to carbon frame

stgranty
stgranty Posts: 22
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
i have a specialized hardrock sport disc with upgraded suspension, i am fed up with it weighing a ton, i am working so much harder to keep up with mates cross country, ( on our road bikes we are even). is it feasible to buy a carbon frame and just take all the parts off my hardrock and put them on the carbon frame. or would i be better off buying a new bike (but im skintish)
any suggestions on which frame (19")

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    On One Whippet would be hard to beat, but don't assume that will totally revolutionise things, you'll save a couple of pounds, but similar investment in your wheels will likely yield more.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stgranty wrote:
    is it feasible to buy a carbon frame and just take all the parts off my hardrock and put them on the carbon frame.
    some stuff will fit. some stuff will not.

you will have to check out the specs and dimensions of your current frame and any that you look at.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll save maybe 3/4Kg on the frame, the rest of your bits will still be off a cheap Lardrock, much cheaper ways of saving weight than a reframe.

Tyres - decent tyres and tubes will reduce weight by over 1/2Kg and grip better, cost about £50-70
    Grips - Foam grips will save you 80g for less than a tenner.
    Forks - More expensive but bring performance benefits as well - what you on now?
    Wheels - you could probably save a bit more weight than the frame for about the same price, but have the benefit of reducing translational as well as rotational inertia.
    Stem/bars/seatpost/saddle/shifters/mechs/brakes - some of those can make a good weight saving on the cheap depending on what you have now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Your major problem with upgrading the frame is that your current frame is a bit old school ie standard BB, Straight head tube etc so a new frame that is compatible with your current running gear will mean future upgrading of other parts will be more difficult.

None of those things are major deal breakers. There are many frames that still come with standard bb threads and if not there are adaptors available. Similar with the headset, many step down or up converters available to ensure your "old" straight steerer is compatible with a tapered headset.

But agree with the advise given by others above ie look at the components rather than a carbon frame.

I think its a slippery slope and you could end up just upgrading the whole bike one component at a time which will end up being expensive. Might be better to save up a bit longer and get a new bike when the hardrock eventually dies.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If you still have the standard (Suntour) fork, you can save a lot of weight there. Swapping mine for a Recon made a huge difference to weight and to the feel of the bike, and if you subsequently buy a carbon frame they'll fit there too.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • stgranty
    thanks for the advice guys, just after posting this i recieved a txt saying that a mates mate was selling a k2 evo3 with upgrades for £100 so i bought that. i will post questions about the bike on the correct forum.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thought you wanted lighter, not something that makes an Orange 5 look light!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stgranty
    I thought you wanted lighter, not something that makes an Orange 5 look light!

still do but got this as well now
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The only sensible upgrade is a skip.
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12929296&p=18399372#p18399372
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But it has Hope so....