Garage security help

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
My garage door lock looks like this

Up_and_over_garage_door_lock.jpg

Doesn't look like much of a lock. I bet a crafty criminal could get in there in a few minutes.
What can I do to add some security? My beloved bike is in there so I want it to be safe

Comments

• Get yourself a ground anchor, i've one in the garage and its proper secure, looking on their website prices for the package deals with a well hefty chain and lock seem to have gone up quite a bit, i'm sure mine came in at under a ton a few years back:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-torc-ground-anchor-39860
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I'll lend you my mother in law - you can put her inside the garage.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You're right to be concerned. I've just come back from my Mum's house who has a garage door just like that and it got broken into. Nothing of value taken as there wasn't anything of value in it.
  • Can't remember the name of the thing, but one of those Wotsits that screws into the pavement in front of the garage door and prevents it from opening may well help. Had one at different place a few years back, and there was no way the door was going to be opened it in place.
    Mangeur
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Can't remember the name of the thing, but one of those Wotsits that screws into the pavement in front of the garage door and prevents it from opening may well help. Had one at different place a few years back, and there was no way the door was going to be opened it in place.

ground anchor? The problem is it also says there is something of value in there
  • matthew h wrote:
    Can't remember the name of the thing, but one of those Wotsits that screws into the pavement in front of the garage door and prevents it from opening may well help. Had one at different place a few years back, and there was no way the door was going to be opened it in place.

ground anchor? The problem is it also says there is something of value in there
    Aha, found it...

garage_defender_master.jpg

http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/garage-door-security/garage-door-defender-master.html

It was like that, except of much more butch construction. It's fair to say that it did imply there was stuff worth nicking in there (two motorbikes lived in it), but it did form one hell of an obstacle.
    Mangeur
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Your not going to stop them getting in, you need to stop them removing stuff !

Get yourself a masterblaster, they wont be able to stand the noise and wont be nicking a thing !
    Living MY dream.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    As the garage door opens inwards at the top. What about a home made 'bar on brackets' type pf arrangement? That would prevent the door being opened and would be hidden from view so not advertising valuable contents.
  • Get yourself a ground anchor, i've one in the garage and its proper secure, looking on their website prices for the package deals with a well hefty chain and lock seem to have gone up quite a bit, i'm sure mine came in at under a ton a few years back:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-torc-ground-anchor-39860

Actually it didn't, prices are about the same. I'd personally recommend one, they're much easier to install than I imagined, the chain is super hefty being Sold Secure Bicycle Gold/Motor Cycle Silver and the pad lock is Sold Secure Motorcycle Gold. Definately gives peace of mind if you've got and expensive bike sat in the garage with some dodgy lock on the door and it doesn't advertise the fact something valuable is inside.
  • markhewitt1978
    What about installing the likes of a Sheffield stand in your garage and locking up your bike with big massive locks?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    As i found out recently a gravel drive is pretty handy, i have installed 2 extra bolts that go straight into the concrete on the ground. A really determined thief will get in regardless but one of the best deterrants is to have your car parked up to the door if you can.

The local crime prevention officer called offering advice on how to secure a garage and he was pretty good, his view was that security shouldnt be too obvious, if you have a whacking great alarm, a bright red ground anchor and flood light you are more likely to be robbed as the thief thinks there is something worth having. Ensuring the door is well maintained, an extra locked slide bolt into the ground with solid padlock and chaining the bike/mower etc to a fixed work bench or floor ring is generally sufficient.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • markhewitt1978
    We used to have wooden doors on the garage secured by a padlock. It would end up with the padlock smashed or in some cases the doors bent back; often on a weekly basis. Eventually we ended up securing the doors with nothing more than a coat hanger to stop them blowing open in the wind. As it was easier to let them come in and have a look around rather than constantly damage the door trying to get in :(
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    shortcuts wrote:
    As the garage door opens inwards at the top. What about a home made 'bar on brackets' type of arrangement? That would prevent the door being opened and would be hidden from view so not advertising valuable contents.

As it opens inwards at the top, I leave a ladder pushed against it when we're on holiday
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • shortcuts
    Giraffoto wrote:
    shortcuts wrote:
    As the garage door opens inwards at the top. What about a home made 'bar on brackets' type of arrangement? That would prevent the door being opened and would be hidden from view so not advertising valuable contents.

As it opens inwards at the top, I leave a ladder pushed against it when we're on holiday
    Yep, that's the sort of simple solution I was trying to indicate. Nice1
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    As the garage door opens inwards at the top. What about a home made 'bar on brackets' type pf arrangement? That would prevent the door being opened and would be hidden from view so not advertising valuable contents.

Both good, cost effective ideas. But no use unless it is an integral garage or there is other access. No good if this is the only entry point.

No. You have to stop them at the earliest opportunity. Once inside, thieves can work hidden from view. They can take their time, probably using your own tools found in the garage to defeat secondary security measures.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you have alternative access to the garage then a number of bolts on the inside will help prevent access. On the popular up and over doors it can be quite easy to fold up the bottom half of the door - so bolting across the bottom can prevent this.

I do like the idea of a sound deterrent - but if you're going to do this then you need to make sure that an audible alarm isn't just ignored in the area and that a false trigger is highly unlikely. If you're going away then I'd suggest a neighbour (or two) with access to the property & silence the alarm would be a good idea - otherwise you may find your bikes gone & alarm system in pieces when you return!
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:

Both good, cost effective ideas. But no use unless it is an integral garage or there is other access. No good if this is the only entry point.

No. You have to stop them at the earliest opportunity. Once inside, thieves can work hidden from view. They can take their time, probably using your own tools found in the garage to defeat secondary security measures.

Im only giving info based on what we are told by police, insurers and anti theft teams.
    Living MY dream.
  • markhewitt1978
    Slowbike wrote:
    If you have alternative access to the garage then a number of bolts on the inside will help prevent access. On the popular up and over doors it can be quite easy to fold up the bottom half of the door - so bolting across the bottom can prevent this.

I do like the idea of a sound deterrent - but if you're going to do this then you need to make sure that an audible alarm isn't just ignored in the area and that a false trigger is highly unlikely. If you're going away then I'd suggest a neighbour (or two) with access to the property & silence the alarm would be a good idea - otherwise you may find your bikes gone & alarm system in pieces when you return!

If you are going on holiday I would remove any bikes from the garage and put them into the house where there is better security anyway. When I went away for two weeks I took my bike to my Mum's house and left it there for the duration.
  • VTech
    There is always ADT monitoring service, £99 then £20/month. Bargain.
    Living MY dream.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    simonhead wrote:
    i have installed 2 extra bolts that go straight into the concrete on the ground.

Yes, I did this. Drilled 2 x 10mm holes through the bottom lip of the door at either side, and through the concrete floor and drop 2 x 20cm bolts through these to secure the door. I also put a small ridge of concrete directly under the door to close that gap to prevent anyone trying to reach under to lift the bolts up.

You can only do so much to deter opportunists. Any determined (professional) thief will no doubt find a way.

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Big pressurised tank full of methyl blue dye and spray rails around the doors. At least you'll be able to catch the bastards.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    DesWeller wrote:
    Big pressurised tank full of methyl blue dye and spray rails around the doors. At least you'll be able to catch the bastards.

or sarin gas :twisted:
  • Circlip
    Circlip Posts: 16
    I work at an engineer's merchant with a warehouse of nuts & bolts...

I kid you not we had a guy on the trade counter last week wanting some huge bolts to secure his shed. Turned out he had been found guilty of (among other things) burglary. So he wanted to secure his shed as he was going back for sentancing and expected to be away 'for a while'.

We didn't bother to ask if the contents of the shed actually belonged to him. :roll:
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    They will get in !
    So padlock everything up inside and give yourself a chance to get there before they take anything.

Siren from maplins and light switch from an old fridge , so when the door opens siren kicks off big time. There is another hidden switch to disable the siren when not needed but son wired it up so unfortunately couldn't give any pointers on how to do it.

You need to buy yourself time to get to the garage before they take anything, they are very resourceful and determined.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Station this lot in front of it? :)

1421558-300.jpg
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    As a minimum, get a hasp lock and bolt it through the door and frame. I've got a heavy duty hasp with an additional shoot bolt on the bottom of the door.

Also got a side door and window - these are bolted shut with bars across (roof joist straps). I've had 1 attempted break in - they went for the window, which was impossible to get in.

The bikes are all secured to ground and wall anchors. Also got a couple of vibration alarms on the window, and a shed alarm inside.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Where do you get a good stand alone garage alarm? Recommendations for buying please
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • shortcuts
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Where do you get a good stand alone garage alarm? Recommendations for buying please
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=garag ... =firefox-a
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I like the South African approach......

south-africa-car_2481756b.jpg

Although i realise it's not for burglar deterent, but is 'legal' in SA if your life is in danger.

I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend and how much your kit is worth. I found these boxes after a quick search.

Bike_storage.jpg

which are around £450 and holds upto three bikes. They do bigger ones and an insurance approved version, but you obviously pay more.

The older I get, the better I was.