Picked up my Claud Butler Roubaix yesterday

Claud Roubaix
Claud Roubaix Posts: 76
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Lovely bike to ride although I have to admit I have nothing to compare it to! Going for my first 50-60 minute ride this evening and can't wait tbh.
I went for Shimano RO88 shoes with Expresso clip less pedals, good choice I hope?
I have bought 3/4 length padded shorts and a shirt from eBay so apart from a rain jacket I think I will be ok.

I am going to enjoy this!

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Welcome along, did you enjoy the ride ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Ok. So my 50-60 ended up being 32. But I wasn't sure how long it would be. At least I have a reference point now and I know how to increase the loops to make it more difficult.
    Average speed was 13.9 mph with quite an ascent on the way home 372 feet total gains.
    The ride home was hard but I could have gone further.
    One problem my Aldi shorts kept riding forward so braces will be worn - until I purchase some bib shorts.

Great fun this!
  • Well done pal, its get betterer and betterer.

So much so you keep your bike in the lounge like me!
  • Quick question. I did go commando ss suggested by all but it did seem a little chilly in the Nether regions. Is this normal?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Quick question. I did go commando ss suggested by all but it did seem a little chilly in the Nether regions. Is this normal?

Christ it's June! Wait till it's -5 in Winter.
  • So it is normal. I thought it would be.
    Perhaps the old rugby trick of deep heat in the padding would help warm him up a bit. ........ ;-)
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Just wear pants mate. I do.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Motogull wrote:
    Just wear pants mate. I do.

Please do NOT do that. As soon as you start going out for longer rides, you will find that they cause so much more chaffing.

Enjoy the Roubaix
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    It depends what shorts you bought and to a certain extent how much/ what quality they are. If they are cheap, un branded shorts then there is a good chance they are of inferior quality/ materials. As others have said though, it is June, so you shouldn't really be feeling the cold! I have various different pairs of bib shorts from summer through to autumn/ winter shorts which have a more thermal quality and which if paired with Roubaix leg warmers are fine even down to 0*c.

Enjoy your new found sport.

PP
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Motogull wrote:

Please do NOT do that. As soon as you start going out for longer rides, you will find that they cause so much more chaffing.

What do you mean by longer? Genuine question.

Nice website by the way.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Could feeling the cold "down there" be a function of lack of blood flow? Checked your saddle position?
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl