10 Speed Square taper Chainset

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Can anyone point me in the direction of one of these seemingly impossible to find objects to fit an old steel frame.

Or alternativley a square taper chainset that will take a 10 speed chain.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Impossible to find. Campagnolo made them until 2006. I have several new one sitting on my selves (I sell several of these) Imposible to find - not if you know where to look.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rubertoe
    Impossible to find. Campagnolo made them until 2006. I have several new one sitting on my selves (I sell several of these) Imposible to find - not if you know where to look.

I need shimano...sorry i should of said.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Get a stronglight one... they have JIS taper like Shimano... they are dead cheap and good quality... you can even get the matching bottom bracket for a tenner, if you want a perfect chain line
    left the forum March 2023
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    FSA Vero, available in Compact or Double. Try Chain Reaction. Think the last advert said 9sp but it is 10sp compatible (can't remember if it actually says 10sp on the chainset or the box). About £60 IIRC.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You should be able to find some suitable cranks on ebay - worst case would be fitting some new, aftermarket rings from the likes of TA or Stronglight, however, even a 9 speed chainset would work fine IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rubertoe
    Monty Dog wrote:
    You should be able to find some suitable cranks on ebay - worst case would be fitting some new, aftermarket rings from the likes of TA or Stronglight, however, even a 9 speed chainset would work fine IME.

i cant even find any 9 speed.

its all hollowtech 2 and Megaexo and BB30.

When did it all get so complicated.

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Get a stronglight one... they have JIS taper like Shimano... they are dead cheap and good quality... you can even get the matching bottom bracket for a tenner, if you want a perfect chain line

What he said. I know a number of people using the Stronglight cranksets and they rate them. The chainrings are okay, but not super durable from what I understand.

I have square taper on my audax bike - didn't want any of this bearings hanging out of the side nonsense going on. Royce Ti bottom bracket onto Specialities TA Carmina crankset.