Finishing kit - does it have to match and my options!

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Currently building up a new bike and the colour scheme is driving me mad.

The frame is one of the 2012 Scoot CR1 SL's from Westbrooks which is a matt black/grey/with Silver accents.

I've swapped over my Sram red groupset onto it, but have a standard Rotor 3D chainset (normal stronglight rings) so all of that is black, with a bit of red and or silver.

I've also just aquired a set of FFWD F4R wheels for it (again black with grey and white accents)

Now here comes the tricky part.

I've got a 3T Dorico Team Seat Post (Black and Red) and a 3T Team Stem (Black and Red) but my bars are the 3T Pro version, which is white and black)

The bars look AWFUL on it compared to the rest of the bike, but I dont want to spend 200 quid to get Team Red/Black bars (plus also they are carbon) to get the matching look.

I bike originally was going to be as light as I could get it, but with the wheels at 1650gm thats not going to happen, but its still going to be about 7kg

Trouble is the 3T stuff is quite light at 120gm for stem and 200gm for the seatpost (actuals)

I could buy the white and black Pro seatpost and stem, but that would add approx 80gm to the build, but would black and white look too garish? I would also buy the black and white stem, but thats only 10gm difference due to the Ti bolts.

Please no one suggest the grey and black LTD stuff, as its carbon and Mega expensive!

My question is, should I look to swap out the stem and bars for another manufacturers set (such as Ritchey or Zipp) if I do this, should I then look to swap out the seat post to be a match also or is it ok if the front half (bars and stem) doesn't match the back (seat post)

I like the Zipp stuff as I need short and shallow bars, but wonder if I should go beyond black to hide logos?

I wish there was a way I could just take the white parts off of the 3T bars and I would be happy!

Comments

• Can someone summarise please?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Go Ritchey WCS dude. You can check out my 2012 Foil as it's in the same colour scheme and it has a white saddle, stem and bars. I can also swap the black kit over if you need a visual.

Aside from that send your finishing kit to Ooey Graphics and have it all repainted (they're doing my WM frame). If you want I'll take it all down for you when I pick up my frame in a couple weeks.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Sand the graphics off the bars. Bars will be lighter as well!
  • dru
    Grill wrote:
    Go Ritchey WCS dude. You can check out my 2012 Foil as it's in the same colour scheme and it has a white saddle, stem and bars. I can also swap the black kit over if you need a visual.

Aside from that send your finishing kit to Ooey Graphics and have it all repainted (they're doing my WM frame). If you want I'll take it all down for you when I pick up my frame in a couple weeks.

Now there is a thought!

Will consider this route - as I'm happy with what I've got component wise, although the WCS stuff is tempting too!

Are you local this weekend?
  • dru
    Can someone summarise please?

I'll post some photos later in the week when back with the bike.
  • Grill
    Indeed I am. With the exception of riding the bikes and possibly helping with support on the RAS I'm about.
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    Does it have to match? I'd say only if you want to spend more time looking at it than riding it.

I've got a 7 year old cheapo XTC SE with lead damped forks, iron rimmed wheels and a group set that makes steam rollers look light weight but who gives a poo? My bike is for riding not looking at.

I'd much prefer to spend the money on improving the ride and forgetting about the looks.
  • Grill
    Yes, matching is important. What's the point of building up a new bike just for it took look gash? You may be happy with your rig, but most of us take pride in what we ride.
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    Grill wrote:
    Yes, matching is important. What's the point of building up a new bike just for it took look gash? You may be happy with your rig, but most of us take pride in what we ride.

Fair enough, I take pride in my ride too but wouldn't spend extra money just to make things match. Even my clothing is a total hodge podge of special offer gear.

Just seems like a total waste of money to me. If it costs the same I'm with you but spending money on looks that could be spent on better bits or a nice set of bibs etc doesn't appeal at all. Each to their own though, the question was asked so I proffered my view. :D
  • Wily-Quixote
    Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
    go with what matches your highheels and lipstick.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Deda stem bars and seatposts look good to. They to a range from budget (zero1, RHM01 and RSX01) to expensive - Supperlegra carbon bits.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Grill wrote:

If you don't have the budget to make it look "good"? I like bikes that are put together well and look nice, but I also appreciate "hotch-potch" bikes that are thrown together with what the person has lying around - I'm often a little more wary of someone riding this type of bike in races as i think that they're the sort of person that has enough kit just lying around their house to make up a race bike.

Some people who have bikes all built up nice and matching and flash have just gone to a posh bike shop and said - "here's a load of money, give me a nice bike back in return"....
  • dru
    mroli wrote:
    Some people who have bikes all built up nice and matching and flash have just gone to a posh bike shop and said - "here's a load of money, give me a nice bike back in return"....

Well, certainly havent got the pockets to do that - but I'm doing my best to build a bike up that 'compliments' the sum of its parts.

Afterall - If I just leave the white exposed on the handlebars I will always think - that doesn't look right :)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Get either some red or black sign vinyl and cut pieces to change the colour of the bars. I've got white on the side of my black and red 3T stem, noone would ever spot it, its matt finish like the paint is on them, and it matches the rest of the bike's finishing kit, took 5 minutes. No need to sand bits off.
  • dru
    mfin wrote:
    Get either some red or black sign vinyl and cut pieces to change the colour of the bars. I've got white on the side of my black and red 3T stem, noone would ever spot it, its matt finish like the paint is on them, and it matches the rest of the bike's finishing kit, took 5 minutes. No need to sand bits off.

Now that is a sensible idea - will try and get some and see how it goes - of course the other option would be just to wrap the bar tap all the way to the middle - old school style right?