First Road Bike - Trek 1.1 2013

Parry
Parry Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I want to take cycling more seriously and want to invest in my first road bike. I've been riding mountain bikes (on/off road) but it has been short distances and now want to tackle longer distances.

I have a budget of £500 for the bike and accessories as it's a hobby for now and if I get into it more, I'll spend more on my next bike. I'm looking at secondhand bikes purely from a value for money point of view and have come across a 2013 Trek 1.1 for £300. Would you say it's a good buy? And is it upgrade friendly (would there be any point upgrading groupset/brakes etc or just buy a new bike)?

I've also spotted a Wilier Triestina Lampre with some upgraded bits for £400 which would leave me less for accessories but I haven't come across this brand before so not sure if it's good vlaue.

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi mate, i have a 2011 version of your bike and it is a great first bike for sure. Thing I noticed about it is that it is very comfortable and nice to ride. My medium bike weighs 10kg, which again I didn't think was too bad considering it's the first bike in the range.
    Not much point upgrading on this frame though, may as well buy a new bike with better frame and kit! Obviously a judicious wheel and tyre upgrade would work wonders and potentially shave 500g+ off the bike weight and should make it more responsive etc.
    Cheers!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Parry wrote:
    Hi guys, I want to take cycling more seriously and want to invest in my first road bike. I've been riding mountain bikes (on/off road) but it has been short distances and now want to tackle longer distances.

I have a budget of £500 for the bike and accessories as it's a hobby for now and if I get into it more, I'll spend more on my next bike. I'm looking at secondhand bikes purely from a value for money point of view and have come across a 2013 Trek 1.1 for £300. Would you say it's a good buy? And is it upgrade friendly (would there be any point upgrading groupset/brakes etc or just buy a new bike)?

I've also spotted a Wilier Triestina Lampre with some upgraded bits for £400 which would leave me less for accessories but I haven't come across this brand before so not sure if it's good vlaue.

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

I wouldn't normally recommend a 1.1 but for £300 that's a good deal so I would say go for it!

As for upgrades, that's a difficult one, as you'd be much better off riding this while saving up for a better replacement bike than spending money on it, but it can be done. Only thing I'd upgrade immediately is the brakes, as even though they are the same calipers as on more expensive models, they really are crap.
  • Parry
    Parry Posts: 16
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will go with the Trek and see how I get on. My work's C2W scheme starts again next year so I'll buy a better bike then if I'm still cycling. :)

With regards to brakes upgrade, can you recommend something? And is it DIY or is it best left to a professional?
  • Cobi
    Cobi Posts: 16
    I Started with a 1.2 in 2010. it was a great base to start with, paid £600 for it new and got £450 a year later for it but it was in VGC.

the only thing I would change on a 1.1 is the seat post to carbon, this will make the ride much smoother. Dont change anything else and save your pennies for your upgraded bike!
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    I bought the 2011 model just after it came out and its been brilliant, this year I upgraded the wheels and replaced the groupset with a new full 105 set and its like having a new bike!
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I had a 2011 trek 1.2 and was a very nice ride. At that price I would go for a trek again.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    The Trek sounds like a good deal, but make sure the bike fits you!!
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    The Treks a great bike, only trouble is when you spend 3 times as much on the bike after it won't be 3 times better.