Loose frame mudguard mounts

PaulSO23
PaulSO23 Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in The workshop
I have a Specialized Sirrus Elite which is 4 months old and covered a 1000 miles. The rear mudguard fixing which is an insert set in the bracing between the seat stays has worked loose and rattles annoyingly.Has anyone experienced simular? So I took the bike back to the shop and after much delay got the bike back a week later with damage to paint on down and seat tube. A week on and the insert is loose again. Would I be right to push for a replacement frame under warranty?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You are entitled to repair or replace, as the bike is 4 months old the Sale of goods act ('SoGA') gives you more clout than a warranty.

And yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    the insert is likely a rivnut, a bit like a rivet, if they were to replace the rivnut properly (not a big job!) then you'd be rattle free for no charge.

friend just had one replaced for £8 at LBS
  • PaulSO23
    PaulSO23 Posts: 3
    Thanks for your replies, I'll ask for a new frame as the shop scratched it and fobbed me off with a bungled repair.
    It would have been simpler for Specislized to drill the tubing all the way through and the mudguard bracket could then have been fixed with a nut and bolt.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Simpler maybe, less strong and heavier as well.....both it and the scratching can be fixed of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.