1989 Carbon Specialized Allez Epic

velocissimus
velocissimus Posts: 23
edited June 2013 in Your road bikes
My current bike is a 2012 Cervelo R3 Team, Sram Force group, compact 50-34, 11-27 cassette, Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels (2013), 3T finishing kit. As everyone knows what they look like I thought I would post some pics of my first proper road bike.

1989 Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame.
Shimano 105 and 600 group.
Double 53-42
7 speed 12-21
Wheel: Shimano 105 hubs Mavic rims
Cinelli bars
Look pedals

Bought from Colin Lewis in Paignton for £600 back in the day. Many happy miles on the roads of South Devon and Dartmoor. I retired it from road use some years ago and now use it on the trainer. Gave it a clean today and decided to snap some pics:

IMG_4926_zps02051e87.jpg

IMG_4927_zpsc07406c7.jpg

0b94ce05-0416-4e26-82c3-48f523008850_zps15c0d6bb.jpg

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I love it, you should ride it, I bet it's super smooth
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks Ugo, I'm glad you like it. It seemed smooth at time but not when compared to a modern frame, the forks transmit a lot of road buzz and it felt a bit unsteady on high speed descents. It was fast though and I loved riding it.

I retired it due to reports of frame failures caused by the tubes separating from the lugs. This was Specialized's first go at a carbon road frame. They also built a mountain bike frame of similar construction (only for the brave). The later frames had a more matt colour to the lugs and were apparently less susceptible to separation. There are a couple of nicks on the underside of the chain stay where I dropped the chain, so I lost confidence in the integrity of the frame. I've kept for nostalgic and historical reasons. It can still bring back happy memories spinning on the trainer.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That looks ace!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thank you, here's a close up showing the weave on the carbon tubes. It was cloudy today, it looks better in the sun.

IMG_4929_zps895db2d8.jpg
  • Classic! Very Nice.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I've got the 1991 version which was also my first proper bike and now sits on the trainer! Nice to see you have most of the original parts. I switched mine over to Campagnolo a while back. Brings back memories of riding the Arenberg forest and Alpe d'Huez for me. Mine still has flecks of white paint picked up from the fans painting the road on the back of the seat tube.
  • I've got the 1991 version which was also my first proper bike and now sits on the trainer!

Nice, is yours the model with the yellow decals and no purple bits? Do you have a pic for some vintage carbon appreciation?
    Although mine is the '89 frame I brought it in early '92. As I recall Colin Lewis bought a batch of frames at a good price after Specialized stopped producing them which made it decent value at the time.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think you were hasty to retire it... remember these tubes are quite thick for modern standards and a lot stronger than modern frames tubings... I would not have any hesitation in bringing it back to life... just change that seat tube... it needs to be silver!
  • greasedscotsman
    Nice, is yours the model with the yellow decals and no purple bits? Do you have a pic for some vintage carbon appreciation?
    Although mine is the '89 frame I brought it in early '92. As I recall Colin Lewis bought a batch of frames at a good price after Specialized stopped producing them which made it decent value at the time.

Yes, it's the one with the yellow graphics, got mine from Geoffrey Butler Cycles. I'll see if I can sort out some photos and get 'em posted!
  • greasedscotsman
    I think you were hasty to retire it... remember these tubes are quite thick for modern standards and a lot stronger than modern frames tubings... I would not have any hesitation in bringing it back to life... just change that seat tube... it needs to be silver!

I don't think it's the thickness of the tubes that's the worry, it's the connection between the carbon and the aluminium lugs. The headtube on mine isn't looking so great, it looks like the protective coating has come away from the carbon. Don't think I'd ride mine again, but it's fine on the trainer.
  • ugo.santalucia

I don't think it's the thickness of the tubes that's the worry, it's the connection between the carbon and the aluminium lugs. The headtube on mine isn't looking so great, it looks like the protective coating has come away from the carbon. Don't think I'd ride mine again, but it's fine on the trainer.

But that's just laquer... it will delaminate, of course... structurally it has no role
  • greasedscotsman
    But that's just laquer... it will delaminate, of course... structurally it has no role

Sure, I know that, but why has it delaminated? What's caused it to do so? It hasn't anywhere else on the frame. Not saying if anyone else has a similar frame they shouldn't ride it, that's up to them. I'm quite happy to use mine on the trainer, I have other bikes I can ride.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Thats absolutely awesome! As a fellow west countryman I bet 42x21 is fun on Devon hills!
  • But that's just laquer... it will delaminate, of course... structurally it has no role

Sure, I know that, but why has it delaminated? What's caused it to do so? It hasn't anywhere else on the frame. Not saying if anyone else has a similar frame they shouldn't ride it, that's up to them. I'm quite happy to use mine on the trainer, I have other bikes I can ride.

I read somewhere that Specialized recommended retiring the lugged carbon frames after 10 years as that was the intended lifespan. That may have been to avoid replacing them for a new frame though as I believe they had a lifetime warranty for the original owner and I've read reports of people getting replacement frames after years of use. I feel that I got good value from mine and like you I'm happy using it on the trainer. Having said that I think Ugo may have convinced me to take it out for a gentle spin.
  • Nickel wrote:
    Thats absolutely awesome! As a fellow west countryman I bet 42x21 is fun on Devon hills!

Thanks. Colin Lewis was a gentleman off the bike but a proper hard man on the bike and probably still is. He convinced me that was the right gearing for bike and my level of fitness at the time. After a few months of suffering I learned to enjoy the pain in my legs and it was all fun after that. I did always feel battered after long hilly rides though. :)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    cool, like it...