Chainset & Compatibility Help

nickempop
nickempop Posts: 73
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi all
I currently have a Cannondale Synapse Hi mod 2010 and need to replace the chainset and would like a bit of advice before I purchase and crack on.
The chainset at the moment is a FSA SL-K Light Carbon BB30 chainset, 34/50 tooth chainrings and a Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-28 cassette.
My questions are if I were replace it with a Shimano Ultegra 6750 Hollowtech II Compact Chainset, would I have to replace the BB set with an Shimano Ultegra 6700 Bottom Bracket Cup Set?
Plus if I wanted to replace the cassette for a 12-30 would I also have to replace the derailleur for a Shimano Ultegra RD-6700 Rear Derailleur GS?
Hope you can help and I've made some sense :)

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    nickempop wrote:
    Hi all
    I currently have a Cannondale Synapse Hi mod 2010 and need to replace the chainset and would like a bit of advice before I purchase and crack on.
    The chainset at the moment is a FSA SL-K Light Carbon BB30 chainset, 34/50 tooth chainrings and a Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-28 cassette.
    My questions are if I were replace it with a Shimano Ultegra 6750 Hollowtech II Compact Chainset, would I have to replace the BB set with an Shimano Ultegra 6700 Bottom Bracket Cup Set?
    Plus if I wanted to replace the cassette for a 12-30 would I also have to replace the derailleur for a Shimano Ultegra RD-6700 Rear Derailleur GS?
    Hope you can help and I've made some sense :)

I'll give you a little help, when you replace your BB30 chainset you'll require an adapter to use a Shimano chainset because Shimano don't make a BB30 chainset.
    Derailleur is another matter and no doubt someone will guide you in the right direction.
  • forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    As Bozman says...you would need an adaptor, shimano dont make native bb30 BB sets, shop around carefully, some are irreversable iirc, I would probably get a lbs to do this.

for rear der;
    34T (RD-6700-SS) - existing ?
    40T (RD-6700-GS)

(see below for explanation form sheldon)
    Dérailleurs usually are rated in terms of "tooth-difference capacity," a number that represents the dérailleur's capacity to take up slack in the chain. To find the minimum tooth-difference capacity needed for the gearing you have selected, subtract the number of teeth on your smallest rear sprocket from the number of teeth on the largest. Do the same for the front sprockets, and add the two numbers. For example, if your rear sprockets run from 14 to 26 teeth, the rear difference is 12. If your chainwheels are 36-52, the front difference is 16. Adding the figures for front and rear, we get a total difference of 28 teeth. If you get a dérailleur with a 28-tooth capacity or more, it should handle the range. If you use a dérailleur with insufficient tooth difference capacity, the chain will be too slack in some gears or too tight in others and you probably will not be able to get it to shift properly.

Hope this helps
  • nickempop
    nickempop Posts: 73
    Thank you both for your advice

Very much appreciated :D