Boardman Team FS paint issues

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Just some opinions please.

BIke was purchased middle of August last year.

Cleaning and greasing / oiling the bike up last night and noticed the paint on the top mount was bubbling, I pressed the bubble and the paint flaked away. This has happened both sides of the frame.

I rang Halfords today and spoke to the bikehut manager and was told he would speak to head office but the manager in charge only works 2 days a week so it might take ages and chances are they wont sort the paint out anyhow.

What would you do. Im thinking about just getting a touch up and primer and sorting it myself but a bit of me thinks email head office and see what they say?

Bike only gets washed with water and sponge and rinsed with watering can.

Thanks
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Next to the shock mounting bolt. That looks very very not serious.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    TBF it doesn't look that bad. But no harm in following it up with an email to them, at least you have a record no matter what they come back and say.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    Bought mine around the same time and mine has got some paint issues around the swinglink bearing area. I'm not too bothered and just touched it up with some vauxhall paint which doesn't match lol....even worse is the worn away team decal on the seat stays which are down to the aluminium and now have some gaffer tape over them^^. Never really took much notice tbh and it must be my shoes rubbing against them.
    I'd rather it looks like it's seen some use rather than looking like a showroom bike ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    How about a bit on vinyl wrap, would look more professional.
  • Wirralian1
    Wirralian1 Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    *** someone's been having fun with my PC in my absence! I dont do forums or major moans and I dont know about PC's,lucky for me i have a mate who does know and tells me my PC has had a visitor. I do have a Boardman bike,which I am 99% happy with,Paint issues..I found out what the colour is and with a Winsor + Newton no: 1 brush,a can of thinners and a spray can of colour, clear lacquer, some polishing compounds and a buffing pad,the world is my lobster! The colour is Nissan midnight blue(pearlescent)(Boardman Midnight Blue Metallic) and to my eye,under good light..It's the same paint.Make sure the can gets a good shake before use!
    Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you for real?
    Perhaps you should just get one of your butlers to sort it out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Mmm indeed!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You ride your guitars in the woods?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Wirralian1 wrote:
    A trip to the LBS has led me to believe that I should make time to go on a certificated course,so that I can learn to strip

Here you go:

http://www.stripper101.com/
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Wirralian1 wrote:
    Paint issues exist across all models,not just the Team FS.. I bought a Hybrid Race 24/05/13 and the paint seems to fall off every time I look at it.2 Points I would like to make,first,I am not a paint technician,but I know some.Secondly,I know a bit about metal and paint,and I can fix the problems,but why should I?If the metal is clean,the paint should stick,so it sounds like a quality issue. For the lawyers out there,is it fit for purpose? So,I am annoyed..if this was my brand new BMW M5 or MercedesAMG SE I would have my legal team on it. I am not heavy handed and have taken great care of this bike,in the same way I treat my very expensive guitars,(which have a higher value,and are built for abuse!!))A trip to the LBS has led me to believe that I should make time to go on a certificated course,so that I can learn to strip, rebuild my own bikes and repaint my own frames,to an even higher standard.I am one of the lucky few who can fix my problems. This bike is a great design and a technological step forward,great value for money,pity its not built in the UK..we could go and bang on the doors..mmm!

I'll bang your doors in a minute
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wirralian1 wrote:
    Paint issues exist across all models,not just the Team FS.. I bought a Hybrid Race 24/05/13 and the paint seems to fall off every time I look at it.2 Points I would like to make,first,I am not a paint technician,but I know some.Secondly,I know a bit about metal and paint,and I can fix the problems,but why should I?If the metal is clean,the paint should stick,so it sounds like a quality issue. For the lawyers out there,is it fit for purpose? So,I am annoyed..if this was my brand new BMW M5 or MercedesAMG SE I would have my legal team on it. I am not heavy handed and have taken great care of this bike,in the same way I treat my very expensive guitars,(which have a higher value,and are built for abuse!!))A trip to the LBS has led me to believe that I should make time to go on a certificated course,so that I can learn to strip, rebuild my own bikes and repaint my own frames,to an even higher standard.I am one of the lucky few who can fix my problems. This bike is a great design and a technological step forward,great value for money,pity its not built in the UK..we could go and bang on the doors..mmm!
    Yawn.....zzzzz.....sorry did you have something to say?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.