FSA SL-K Light MegaExo 11sp Chainset with Campag Chorus 11sp

wheelie-bin
wheelie-bin Posts: 124
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Read about the nightmares with Ultra Torque bottom brackets etc etc and really don't fancy it.

Would this be an okay alternative to the campag chainset/bottom bracket along with the rest of the chorus 11 speed groupset? http://all-about-the-bike.co.uk/fsa-sl- ... 6544-p.asp

:)

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    The nightmares? That may be overstating things a little.

Actually, a tremendous amount.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's one guy on the web, Rogue Mechanic who has a beef about Ultratorque and you're gonna take his word for it? IME Ultratorque is more reliable than Hollowtech, FSA or GXP.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    I have just fitted ultra torque after removing power torque and think its a brilliant system..

Are you sure you don't mean power torque as troublesome ??

I say that due to needing a bearing puller to remove.
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    I've used Ultratorque for several years and it's been simple and reliable.

I put a carbon Chorus 11 compact on my Ribble 365 shopping bike and at 179 quid I think it's a lot better value than the FSA.
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • wheelie-bin
    wheelie-bin Posts: 124
    There just seems to be a fair amount of people online complaining about the Ultra torque set up and the fact the bearings don't last that long, which is especially concerning as I'll be using the bike all year round...
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Your money!
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    My experience with FSA MegaExo from a few years ago is that the bearings don't last that long.

Just replaced the bearings on my Athena Ultra-Torque from 2009 ridden in all weathers. Hard to give a distance but must be around 5000 miles and I was charged the princely sum of £20 by my lbs
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    No problems in 4 years of use.
    The only thing that bugs me is campags proprietary spacing for their compact chainrings.
    Not sure what I will do when I decide to buy a powermeter, the SRM is a little rich for me.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There just seems to be a fair amount of people online complaining about the Ultra torque set up and the fact the bearings don't last that long, which is especially concerning as I'll be using the bike all year round...

The bearings in my Ribble lasted about 7000 miles of riding in all weathers (inc 5 days a week commuting).

That's not brilliant but it would take most people a fair while to get there - particularly if they punished their bikes less. Having worn the bearings out, I bought replacements of the same type for about £15 and the allen key and bearing extractor to do the work myself. That was a biggish investment but I have two UT bikes and it seemed worthwhile. An alternative would have been to pay a LBS to fit the ceramic bearings which supposedly last much longer but I like to do my own maintenance and now, any future bearing replacements will only cost me £15 a go and a bit of my time.

It's a very neat design of BB. Aside from the bearings, I have no issues at all with the design and thats on about 13000 UT miles!
    Faster than a tent.......