total noob here guys help

pthackeray22
pthackeray22 Posts: 8
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
im currently looking for a decent mtb for commuting and some light trails, ive seen a few but don't actually no whats good and whats not, (im a car man) can anyone help got about 350 to 450 to spend,

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a section called Buying Advice, and a sticky at the top of that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I did have a look through but some of the stuff mentioned when I looked at the mtbs means sod all to me,
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So ask in 'Buying advice'.....and ask specific questions on points you don't understand.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Go to Halfords and buy the most expensive Carrera or Voodoo hardtail bike (ie suspension forks no rear suspension) you can afford on your budget. Or go to Decathlon and do the same with the most expensive Decathlon. Dont buy a full suspension bike at your budget it will be a useless piece of iron. Ask if the shop will do you a deal on a helmet, a lock, some cycling shorts, gloves, a mini tool and a pump. You should get a decent package for £450 and it will be a good starter for if you get properly hooked.

Read the Partools maintenance website and learn how to adjust gears and brakes and generally look after the bike.

Ride then ride a bit more and when you have finished riding plan the next ride.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I've ended up with a Scott voltage 2013 from my local bike shop and I'm happy to say the least
  • The Rookie
    The Voltage is a whole range of bikes...so which one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds ideal for commuting and light trails.

But I am probably really, really wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • my apoligies, hers a photo,1372089277878.jpg
  • stubs
    Nice looking bike but a bit over the top for commuting and light trails. Hope the saddles comfy because that stiff back end is going to beat you to a pulp over anything rough and the short top tube is going to mean a barn door sitting position on the commute. Not quite what I would have gone for its more of a blast round the BMX park and round the woods bike. However the frame will be bombproof quite possibly of the nuclear bomb variety.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    Scotts look nice but I do hope to heck you paid nowhere near the RRP (£430) (Voltage YZ 30 I think?), forks are very basic and bouncy, the cable disc brakes are OK, but you need to keep on top of the adjustment to keep decent braking.

Wouldn't be my first choice for commuting on road, but for a smaller rider they are great off it, my Elder daughter rode one (well the frame was Scott!) for about 2 years and it's now in Trail spec for my younger daughter. Frames is a little heavier, but yes, would probably survive a direct hit from a Trident!
  • I got it for 386, with free servicing for a year, and a 10% off parts card which will last me forever oh and a £45 pound lock thrown in too
  • The Rookie
    OK not too bad, although a Carrera Vulcan has better forks and hydraulic disc brakes for less.

For proper off road use you will need some forks with a damper (you wouldn't drive a car after removing the shock absorbers would you?).
  • stubs
    Seems like this thread went from "We can't help you buy a bike" to "Here's the reasons why the one you bought was wrong"! :P

Its not wrong a bike is a bike and as long as the wheels go round its all fine, but all we are saying is for what the OP wants to do ie light trails and commuting there are more suitable bikes. Internet advice is meant to be ignored so mehh.