chain set

mr_joe0606
mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
edited June 2013 in Workshop
hello i have currently got a full 2013 shimano ultegra groupset but with compact just wondering if i could borrow my mates 105 standard chainset to see how i get on? also 2013 model.

cheers joe

Comments

• Yup shouldn't see any problems with trying it, 1 or 2 extra teeth shouldn't effect anything really, chain will be tighter but depending on your cassette/current setup, you should be temporarily fine. If you do find the chain to be too tight, then you can add an extra link to suffice the extra teeth thats been added. With regards to the bottom bracket, there shouldn't be a compatability issue as the spindle is still the same size, just remember to clean and regrease it upon installation.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Why don't you ask him directly?

:P
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    From a compatibility point of view the BB will be fine (straight chainset swap) but you will need to move the FD up the seat tube to account for the bigger ring diameters on the standard double.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sounds to me like more trouble than it's worth. Am not sure what doing this will tell you or show you.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    dennisn wrote:
    Sounds to me like more trouble than it's worth. Am not sure what doing this will tell you or show you.
    Its a 5 min job to swap them over so not really much trouble, and it will tell him the difference between a standard double and a compact
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    NewTTer wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Its a 5 min job to swap them over so not really much trouble, and it will tell him the difference between a standard double and a compact

No problem. But I would question your 5 minute timeline, what with having to re-adjust the front D and all.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As Smidsy said - you'll have to move the FD up the frame to accommodate the difference - two minute job including readjusting the FD but you may then have tyre/rear of FD clearance issues, but have a bash and see what happens: obviously clearances will vary from bike to bike.
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    cheers guys was just wondering about the BB really. and using the 105 as my mate has it spare before buying a ultegra 1.

thanks guys