Silent freewheel

bad_moose
bad_moose Posts: 49
edited June 2013 in Workshop
I've just bought a Giant Defy 5, really impressed with it so far, having a lot of fun riding it. I just had one question though. When the bike is freewheeling, the rear hub is totally silent. Doesn't make any of the usual clicking noises that most bikes seem to make. A mate has a Defy 1 with the same wheels as me and his makes lots of noise. Is there a problem? Does it need to go back to the shop to be looked at? It feels fine whilst being ridden and the wheel is definitely fitted to the bike properly.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It will likey get noiser with use.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Some freewheels are just quieter than others. I have a five year old Specialized Tricross which regularly surprises horses with its stealth approach (I usually cough or make a superfluous gear change so horse and rider know I'm there). It's always been that way, and approaching 20,000 miles it still runs perfectly.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Indeed, but he is comparing the same wheels (make/model) so the freehub is the same. Your new one will get noiser and match your mates.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    The noise from the freehub is often down to the amount of grease put into the ratchet ring during assembly. Less grease = more noise. Nothing to worry about either way.