Brake Pad Distance from Rim

TimInno
TimInno Posts: 46
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hello,

What sort of space/distance should there be between the brake pads and the wheel rim?

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Depends on how true your rims run and how you want your brakes to feel.

I have mine about 1mm out as I prefer the feel of the lever when they are a little bit out. As long as they aren't stupidly far away you'll be fine.
    I find when the pads run right next to the rim I can't put enough force into the braking. Different for different people though depends on where your levers are on your bars.
  • TimInno
    TimInno Posts: 46
    Thanks very much!
  • I go for at least 2mm myself so there is no chance of any brake rub if the wheel flexes a little
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As much in or out as you like dependant on lever feel - mine are well close as I like a bit of immediate action, ooooeeerrrrrrrr.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I like 1 mm, closer might be trouble with dirt. Wheels are trued to +/- 1 mm maximum (industrial standard), so 2 mm between pads and rim is safe. Actually, often wheels are much better. If the wheels are untrue, get them trued. If your frame or wheels are flexible, more space might be needed. Apart from that, road bike brakes don't need to be as instant or effective as for example the brakes of trial bikes. It is much more important that you can dose the brake according to the situation. Wider brakes simply brake a bit later.