Speedplay Pedals???

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
anybody got any experience of Speedplay pedals? looking at some as an upgrade from my Shimano road pedals & was after onions on them please?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• I love them. I've been riding them for years now, since 1996 and wouldn't look back. They so light in comparison to others, dead easy to clip into, the float while massive at 15deg is adjustable in some models. They do require maintainence buy that's not that hard. The only downside is the cleats are expensive to replace: that said they last for ages in comparison.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I love them. Had Shimano SPD-SL then moved to Speedplay. Got some Look Keo Blades on the cheap but after a week I'd gone back to Speedplay. I think they are the best pedal system on the market, just make sure you get the cleat coffee stop covers to protect the cleats when you're walking.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • I love them - by far the best biomechanically for knees and a lot of the stuff posted about wear and maintenance is bolloc*s - just grease the pedals through the port regularly (obviously depends on weather etc but when lubed well they won't spin beyond one rev when flipped) and clean and lube the cleats every now and again and they are sweet.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Yep

Love speed play here
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I'm a fan too for the usual reasons. Only thing I'll say against them (and it's actually a bit of a problem if you live in Finland) is that they are useless in snow. You basically get a plug of compacted snow in the cleat as soon as you unclip and put your foot down, and then you can't engage...
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Stainless Zeros purchased, thanks for the input guys
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They so light in comparison to others

If only the cleats weren't so heavy in comparison to others!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    neeb wrote:
    they are useless in snow. You basically get a plug of compacted snow in the cleat as soon as you unclip and put your foot down, and then you can't engage...

Agreed - any other soft surface, same problem. Strongly recommend the Coffee Shop Caps, it becomes second nature to slip them on every time you step off the bike.
  • andybond
    andybond Posts: 5
    Love them - could not get on with shimano pedals and cleats. I use light action but swapped the plastic yellow bit from zero cleats in order to reduce the float to about 5% which I prefer - works a treat. Also have "keep on covers" which means they stay on all the time - very convenient and protects cleat all the time. Also have four hole sidi shoes - so no adaptors. The flexibility of the cleat positioning is brilliant and there is no issue getting the cheats in the right place which is a bit further back than the standard for me.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Love mine, but wouldn't let onions near them!

don't over tighten the screws, and keep cleats clean and lubed.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Look for cleat skins (no pun on the onions by the way) covers, best purchase made to protect the cleats, easy to put on, stay on and you can walk across a shiny marble floor without looking like a contestant on dancing on ice,
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I'd recommend the café stop covers for them. Makes it a lot easier to walk when your off the bike and protects the cleats.

I recently changed from Shimano to speedplay zero and im very happy that I did
  • Brynd
    Brynd Posts: 39
    Thoroughly recommend Speedplay Zero pedals for anyone with knee or foot alignment issues as they are much easier to set up and tune. The float is also free moving unlike the spring centring and stiff action on Shimano & Look systems. Your foot can find its own ideal position without you having to guess and adjust the position of your cleats on your shoe all the time. Once you can see where the foot position is most comfortable the Zeros then allow you to tune out the float to hold your foot firmly in place. When I did this I could feel a little twisting happening in my knee and I was able to fine tune the toe out to stop the twisting. Since setting up the pedals like this I’ve had no knee joint pain since.

You can also buy extender adapters for more fore and aft adjustment. I have some Northwave winter shoes which have the cleat mounting holes much further forward on the sole compared to my Specialized shoes and to get the cleat position the same I had to use these.

Speedplay_zps1147e021.jpg

Also thoroughly recommend Keep on Kovers for walking on. Hassle free cleat protection. Been using these for 12 months now and they have worn by 25%. They also raise the cleat 4 mm from the ground so they are less likely to pick up any dirt. I’ve had less mud pick up on these than I used to have on SPD-SL’s. I’ve walked on grass and mud and haven’t any clipping problems yet.

KeeponKover_zpsf4adb130.jpg
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Superb, never heard of the keep on covers. Been using the coffee shop covers, and whilst they do the trick, they're just one more thing to fill pockets on a ride.

Anyone know of somewhere to buy them in the UK? Or do I just have to order them from the states?
  • Superb, never heard of the keep on covers. Been using the coffee shop covers, and whilst they do the trick, they're just one more thing to fill pockets on a ride.

Anyone know of somewhere to buy them in the UK? Or do I just have to order them from the states?

Look great me too any way to get these in UK without paying £16 plus £16 postage buying from US or Aus via eBay?
  • Brynd
    I brought 2 pairs direct from the states to spread the cost of the postage. There wasn’t any duty to pay so that was a relief.
  • How do they fit on Brynd?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Keep on covers! Where? Where? Do they really stay on? Do they effect engagement? Mud, snow and gravel are the enemy of Speedplay cleats
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Brynd
    How do they fit on Brynd?
    They clip over the front and rear edge of the cleat like other covers.
  • Brynd
    Keep on covers! Where? Where? Do they really stay on? Do they effect engagement? Mud, snow and gravel are the enemy of Speedplay cleats
    I've only once had one come off when un-clipping. Noticed straight away so didn't lose it.
    Found they assist engagement as there is more of a socket for the pedal to locate into.
    I take a kitchen towel on rides just in case I have to wipe any mud out. Not had to do so yet.
  • cattytown
    Are people seriously interested in Keepons? I was in touch with the guy a while ago and there is a significant discount like about half price for bulk (15 pairs) but that would put the overall cost up enough to hit duty.

If there's enough interest, I'll do some maths and come up with a price.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • cattytown wrote:
    Are people seriously interested in Keepons? I was in touch with the guy a while ago and there is a significant discount like about half price for bulk (15 pairs) but that would put the overall cost up enough to hit duty.

Paul.

Count me in Paul but I think you should start a separate thread about this as a specific group purchase as there are loads of Speedplay users on here and not all may notice this idea as an off-shoot from this thread.
  • Hi

Ive just come back from a Retul bike fit and the fitter surgested speedplay pedals so I was very interested in this thread

I found this on bikeradar after reading your suggestions and advice

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ats-33506/

DIY Speedplay cleat covers
  • Hi

Ive just come back from a Retul bike fit and the fitter surgested speedplay pedals so I was very interested in this thread

I found this on bikeradar after reading your suggestions and advice

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ats-33506/

DIY Speedplay cleat covers

I saw that too and it's bollocks how could you get them off to clean and lube the cleats as they stick em over the screws typical cplus BS
  • Hi

I suppose you could cut a slit or hole in the rubber where the screw is and then use a pick to remove any dirt when removing the cleat

do you have to remove the screws to clean and lubricate the cleat I don't own the pedals so haven't a clue if thats the case prob not a very good idea
  • cattytown
    Routine weekly type lube, no you don't need to strip, but once in a while I like stripping the cleats as it can be surprising how much muck gets into them.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    cattytown wrote:

Paul.

Count me in Paul but I think you should start a separate thread about this as a specific group purchase as there are loads of Speedplay users on here and not all may notice this idea as an off-shoot from this thread.

+1 - I'm in
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I saw that too and it's **** how could you get them off to clean and lube the cleats as they stick em over the screws typical cplus BS

It says in the article :wink:
    Depending on the strength of your glue, you'll be able to peel the Neoprene off with a bit of effort once it eventually wears and provided you were careful with the operation, the bolt heads won't be filled with adhesive.

Depends how often you need to clean and lubricate as to whether that is a bother or not.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cattytown
    I have done some quick numbers, and it doesn't look viable for a group buy like this. While the 50% discount looks good, adding on duty, VAT (don't forget that is also on the postage) and a random charge by the post office for the privilege of charging, and then the cost of onward posting. Adding on a little to cover currency fluctuation and the risk of someone changing their mind and it is getting awful close to the cost of just buying direct individually.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • cattytown wrote:
    I have done some quick numbers, and it doesn't look viable for a group buy like this. While the 50% discount looks good, adding on duty, VAT (don't forget that is also on the postage) and a random charge by the post office for the privilege of charging, and then the cost of onward posting. Adding on a little to cover currency fluctuation and the risk of someone changing their mind and it is getting awful close to the cost of just buying direct individually.

Paul.

Thanks for checking Paul reckon Ill email wiggle and ask if they would stock them - must be a uk market for these someone would want.