Dual Carriageways

acook59
acook59 Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Hey guys,

I'm new to road cycling and indeed to cycling to commute. Thus i have a question. On my way, the last leg of my route involves emerging from a single carriageway left onto a dual carriageway through traffic lights. I then when driving have to merge into the right most lane as up ahead in an island which i go straight ahead at but immediately after that there is a right turn i must take. When on a bike, am i allowed to go into the right lane on the dual carriageway as normal or not?

Comments

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Technically yes. However - assuming you mean a de-restricted 70mph dual carriageway I'd say that sounds like a risky manoeuvre and if there's another option you should consider it.

Find the location on Google Streetview and post it up so we can see?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • acook59
    acook59 Posts: 3
    If you go to google maps and type in coventry road tyseley, you'll see from kings road, you turn right onto the dual carriageway which is coventry road, go over the island and then immediately you can turn right in a special lane onto heybarnes road, i'm not sure how to get it up on this post?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Assume it's here? http://goo.gl/maps/7XRv9

Need to be fast and confident for that type of roads really, if your not comfortable and frankly urban fast dual carriage ways are hardly fun! there are alternatives east and west.

Locally to me is the A316 which I avoid if I can help it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's showing as a 30 so shouldn't be dangerous. Cyclecraft by John Franklyn has a very good section about turning right on busy roads and dual c/ways. It's a good read and worth buying - I won't try to paraphrase it here from memory but it's £8 well-spent on Amazon.
  • alex_uk
    alex_uk Posts: 56
    Assume it's here? http://goo.gl/maps/7XRv9

Is the OP turning right where google streetview shows that red lorry?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The roundabout does look tricky I suppose, you could stick to left round it, then just past your "intended right hand turn" is a pedstrian crossing. Dismount and push it across. Wasts a few seconds but mean you aint crossing any hectic traffic
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    could be straight forward or could be tricky ...

If the traffic is moving - bearing in mind that you're turning onto a double carriageway with a 40mph limit and some drivers see the 40mph as a minimum target speed - then you'd need to be confident in your road craft to command the lane & the changes.
    If not then you could filter through with the vehicles - but do be careful.

Another consideration is if there are other cyclists about - if there are quite often others around then drivers will be more aware of them. Otherwise you're a lone target ...

TBH if it's really busy then I'd go across on the ped crossing (walking!) and make my way around that way.
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    I cycle that island the other way (Small Heath Bypass right into Coventry Rd) and it is a busy island. The previous poster suggestion of using the crossing would be the safest bit ( I know it hurt to have to get off :-) ). Fortunately I hit it at about 6.20am when the Small Heath Massive Hatchback Road Racing Club are asleep so I take my line round the island.

I can't see a safe way, knowing the island and local conditions if you're in rush hour.

Perhaps do the Kings road the other way to Warwick Road, Golden Hillock Road, Talbot Way onto Cov Road. It'll add a mile or so but there is a Strava Segment in there so you should make up the time.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.