Failed going up Edge Hill

2»

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Is the edge hill known as "Knowle Hill? I think this hill was in the Rawlinson bracket sportive i did this year.

These were the climbs of the day:

Climb#1 Burton Dassett – A short climb where you will find it difficult to stay out of the red, you will have an audience on the way up, the sheep are always curious.

Climb#2 Shotteswell – The rural version of the Côte de Saint-Nicolas, a short steep climb encompassed by houses but no screaming Belgian cycling fans (possibly).

Climb#3 Edge Hill (Knowle Hill) – This climbs appears in ‘Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs’ by Simon Warren. It’s only 600m in length but has a maximum gradient of 14% which makes for a gruelling climb. Nick enjoyed this one and always found some extra power to sprint over the top.

Climb#4 Lady Elizabeth Hill – A relatively long steady climb to allow you to settle in a rhythm (unlike the proceeding climbs).

Climb#5 Compton Winyates Hill – Another relatively long climb with some interesting kicks, enjoy the scenery – imagine you’re climbing the Côte de La Redoute.

Climb#6 Sunrising Hill – Same height gain as the Edge Hill climb but a different character, a max gradient of 16% and a rough road surface make for an attritional climb with an alpine style switch-back at half-way. Nick would always smash his way up this climb.

I must admit, it was only the last one sunrising that gave me grief.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I wish we had climbs like that here, I miss the challenges. Cambridge is just too flat

Couldn't agree more!!! Went to Spain a couple of weeks back, did a 15mile HC climb, took me 1hr50, but I got there (slowly).... Was brilliant, the last 2 miles (had average grade of 9%) nearly killed me, was so tempted to get off and push, but after having put in 13miles of climbing I wasn't going to be beat at the final hurdle even though I literally crawled up! Now back in flat old Cambridge, although this wind makes riding a bit more interesting!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    johnny25 wrote:
    I live not far from Edge Hill. It is certainly one of the toughest in the area.

I'm yet to try it though. According to Strava its 10.8%, but hits 16% in places.

http://app.strava.com/segments/781198

10.8% is average grade.... If you look at the elevation plot, you'll see it does show 16% in places.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Strava will often overlook just how steep a hill gets on the apex sections on the climbing side so one can end up struggling with a 25% or even 30% turn even though Strava/road signage indicates less (this particularly applies to hills like Porlock and Bushcombe, etc.)

Simon's ratings are obviously subjective and based on hard he felt the specific hills were. I find that each hill has a very unique character and in the local club the question "best climber?" is usually followed with "on what hill?"
  • Jbeechey
    Jbeechey Posts: 8
    Might have to give this a go at the weekend. Not too far from mine.
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    Finally did it on my third attempt. Well happy I made it up Edge Hill without stopping. Only bad thing about today was my Garmin 800 battery died halfway back.
    I wasn't even going there today but a mate talked me into it. I was convinced I wouldn't do it, but had nothing to lose so went for it.
    Sorry to go on but its a big achievement for me.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    good-job.jpg

Nice one.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jagx400 wrote:
    Gonna give it another go in a few weeks time, I aint gonna let it beat me. Signed up for the Cheshire cat sportive, the one with the mow cop climb, so got to conquer Edge so as to give me some confidence for the Killer Mile.

Yep, Mow Cop is a lot harder... Simon Warren gives it a rather generous 9/10, which is the same he gave to Porlock... completely different beasts in my view, but hey oh...

Probably reflects different climbing capabilities - different people find different hills differently difficult. Mow Cop is really only notable for the bit going past the pub. If you can survive that after the previous part of the climb which is just a plod, then you are done. It's only a few moments work.

On the other hand, Mytholm Steeps gets one more point than Mow Cop and is far more gruesome.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Looking at the elevation profile it does look a pretty difficult climb, although it is reasonably short.

A climb up here, in East Scotland, that has a similar gradient profile but much longer. Cairn O Mount from the South is a real bitch - with it's 16% gradient ramps both at the start and the end - you're thankful for the 6% gradient for about 1/4 mile in the middle. I actually enjoyed it when I did it for the first time a few weeks ago - chuffed to get inside the top 25 - but the last 1/4 mile when it hits the 2nd 16% ramp is a killer - was doing fine until that.

Cairn O Mount - http://app.strava.com/segments/3893982