Mixing up chain set

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

Putting together my first bike, but have been riding my mates bike nice Xmas. He has a man size double chain set up front, but I loose my mates on the hills as they can pull away faster. Just wondering if I could drop the granny ring on to a smaller sized ring? It's currently a 39T, but wondered if it would be possible to drop to a smaller size, say 34T and would there be much difference??

Cheers

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you've got the 39/52 standard double chainset then it's likely to be 130BCD - the 34/50 chainsets generally have 110BCD - it's a measurement of where the fixing bolts are.
    Unfortunately you can't just put a 110BCD ring on a chainset made for 130BCD as the bolt holes will be in the wrong place.

If you want easier gears then you have two choices - change the chainset to a compact (34/50) or change the cassette to one that has bigger rings on it. The former is more involved and can be expensive whilst the latter will usually give you a greater range of gears but with a larger jump between them. If you do swap the cassette you need to check your chain length and derallieur capacity.

What make/model chainset are you currently running?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Not without swapping the chainset completely - the bolt spacing limits the size sprocket you can fit.

Like this response that overlapped^^^.
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Ok cheers for the replies guys, time to MTFU more!