Puncture resistant tubs - recommendations needed

paolo73
paolo73 Posts: 27
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
Given the bad weather on the commute this winter I've ended up with Specialized All Conditons on one set of clinchers, and Durano Pluses on the other, neither of which are suitable for racing, so I need to fit a pair of race ready tyres to my (currently naked) tubular rims so I can reserve them for fast rides and avoid having to mess around with swapping tyres etc. during the season.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of low rolling resistance tubs with decent puncture resistance and a slick-ish surface? Most of my races will be on less than smooth tarmac, so there's always the threat of disaster striking. A few years back I used to use latex tubes in my clinchers, so maybe there's a brand of tub that has a latex lining to keep weight down and give some extra confidence? (To be honest I would probably still be using latex if they didn't shed 100psi overnight every night).

I may be looking for the holy grail but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Possibly a question for the Road section. Not many commuters on here (properly) race, let alone run tubs as well.

I've given up on latex tubes too. Most of my races are flatish or on crit circuits like Hillingdon, so saving 100g from a couple of wheels isn't really worth the hassle of pumping them up every day. I've got well over 100g to lose elsewhere first ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I thought the main benefit of latex tubes was lower rolling resistance?

I think most decent tubs these days do have latex tubes; the Vittoria ones I used to use for TTing certainly used to. There was a tri variant with a butyl tube, presumably because you don't want your tyres to go down while your bike's sat in the transition area.

I can't recommend a tub with good puncture resistance I'm afraid, though I'm sure there are plenty. I mostly chose the ones with low puncture resistance, got fed up, and ended up switching back to clinchers as a result...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    You could go for one of the classics orientated tyres. Depends how deep your pockets are.

Veloflex roubaix or vittoria pave which are much more reasonable