Sram 11-32T Cassette, 500 miles too many?

terryhughes
terryhughes Posts: 62
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a Voodoo Hoodoo in feb and done just over 1000 miles. The short story is that my chain has been replaced and now the rear deuraliure is all over the place and won't stay on.

Halfors (under warranty) say it is worn and a consumer part after 500 miles so I need to pay for it. would you expect a cassette to be work beyond use after 500 miles?

The guy says it's because the new chain isn't worn with the cassette, the old chain was, is this crap?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, the chain will have worn it due to becoming stretched, so the guy is spot on.

When you say your mech is all over the place - what do you mean - how exactly?
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    In principle they are correct. If you have been hacking around wet sandy gritty trails then 1000 miles could have worn your cassette sufficiently to make it unhappy with a new chain. If you want to understand the chain/cassette relationship read Sheldon Brown here.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It could be depends on what you ride, where and how you maintain the bike.
    Sounds like you may need to brush up on routine maintenance and adjustment.
    Read 'Read this first' below - Parktools website will tell you how to do all sorts of things.
    But yes putting a new chain on a worn cassette can create problems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have done mainly road miles on the bike. The rear hangar snapped and the duralier went in to the wheel. The weel is OK but this bent one peice out on the cahin so they replaced that chain without telling me that it would probably cause problems with the cassette. I have put that to them now so waiting to hear back.
  • Yes, the chain will have worn it due to becoming stretched, so the guy is spot on.

When you say your mech is all over the place - what do you mean - how exactly?

I was constantly skipping back and too between cogs on the rear cassette so it would not stay in any one gear. They tried lining the rear durallier up but can't get it to stay in gear.

Also, I can't spell duralliure.
  • Chunkers1980
    That's why mech is better ;-)

TBH you've done well getting a new chain as breaking a hanger if not done within a few miles of new is not their fault.

If the hanger is not their fault then the broken mech is not either and keep in mind that a cassette is around £15.
  • People I have spoken too are surprised that a hangar has broken, Is there a reason for this? Chain not lubed properly etc?

I use the bike alot and don't want to keep throwing money at it
  • Chunkers1980
    If you use it a lot then you're hardly throwing money at it - think of the value - health, petrol, time ect.

If the hanger had not snapped all would have been fine. Chain and cassette would have worn together and carried on meshing for several hundred more miles.
  • Chunkers1980
    ps. I too am suprised at the hanger breaking, but it only takes one kick/bash to fracture the alu, and after all they are supposed to break to save your frame, it's their purpose.
  • ps. I too am suprised at the hanger breaking, but it only takes one kick/bash to fracture the alu, and after all they are supposed to break to save your frame, it's their purpose.

Thanks for your help. could this be due to poor maintenance on my part on the whole drive train? The chain was not exactly free moving when It was taken off.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    It could be depends on what you ride, where and how you maintain the bike.
    Sounds like you may need to brush up on routine maintenance and adjustment.
    Read 'Read this first' below - Parktools website will tell you how to do all sorts of things.
    But yes putting a new chain on a worn cassette can create problems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks for your help. could this be due to poor maintenance on my part on the whole drive train? The chain was not exactly free moving when It was taken off.
    Yup, sounds like the chain had had it, trashed the cassette and also took out the mech hanger, user error probably, what maintenance has it had?

For info the (regularly lubed) chains on my commuter do circa 2000miles (first one changed as it had gone rusty after a week of wet/salty rides over winter, length still in limits and all joints moving freely) each and the cassette has done 3500 miles (all bought pre-loved).

How often do you lube your chain? What with?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for your help. could this be due to poor maintenance on my part on the whole drive train? The chain was not exactly free moving when It was taken off.
    Yup, sounds like the chain had had it, trashed the cassette and also took out the mech hanger, user error probably, what maintenance has it had?

For info the (regularly lubed) chains on my commuter do circa 2000miles (first one changed as it had gone rusty after a week of wet/salty rides over winter, length still in limits and all joints moving freely) each and the cassette has done 3500 miles (all bought pre-loved).

How often do you lube your chain? What with?

I think I have the answer then. I use the below. I must have applied it 3 or 4 times but only give it all a really good clean once and done almost 1000 miles. Not done anything like this sort of miles before so all this is news to me about cleaning and oiling weekly. The last time I had a bike was when I was younger and I oiled it when rust appeared.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228374
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Great lube, I use it (and the bike shed smells lovely just afterwards), if it's wet you need to be putting it on every 50 miles or so (water spayed off the front wheel gives the chain a 'good wash'.....in the dry it will probably want doing once a month, if your chain was stiff you didn't do it frequantly enough however frequantly you were doing it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.