Saracen Ariel 142... any good?

beiciojones
beiciojones Posts: 11
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
I've been offered one at half price by my LBS. I've only ridden a hardtail up to now but for £1,325, should I take the plunge?

Jonesey

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A link would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry, http://www.summittosea.co.uk/saracen-ar ... tain-bikes

Although I was hoping for the opinion of people who had actually ridden one, so I didn't think the link would be so relevant to them.

Jonesey
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For that money it at elast looks good value for money, well specced, but other than the fork at 'full price' 9assuming it's genuine) it would be pretty poor value!

Some comments here
    viewtopic.php?t=12920582&p=18301711
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes, great bike, massively underrated (or overpriced at RRP - you choose). Do it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Great bikes, and as said above massively underrated. The previous model ariel was decent (which I have ridden) and this has built upon it. Great value for the money.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Thanks for the comments and the link to the other thread (don't know why I didn't find that in the search). At £1,325 I think I could do a lot worse for my money and I could always upgrade the fork that they say isn't so hot in the other thread. I think I'm off across to the island to bite his hand off. Saracen definitely seem to be on the up again these days.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Madison are a big company with a lot of clout to get prices down, not a surprise Saracen are doing well, not sure 'up again' is right though as the new Saracen has nothing in common with the old company except the name!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.