Muscle Soreness

klegg68
klegg68 Posts: 9
Hi Everyone,

can't seem to lose the feeling of muscle and joint soreness days after a ride. I feel very stiff and sore getting onto the bike and feel the same days after the ride. I rode 400 miles over four days in Mallorca a month ago and didn't feel like this so I don't believe it is fitness level. Some more information

Weight: 72Kg
Avg Spd: 18-19 mph (Solo)
Avg Dist: 50-60 miles
Commute 35 miles once or twice a week.

Usually have 2 days between rides and stick to a good recovery regime eating within 30 mins after stopping.

Any help, advice gratefully received.. :D

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Fatigue from the 400 miles catching up with you perhaps? Fatigue doesn't always show up immediately.

Take a few more easy days and focus on getting plenty of sleep - recovery isn't all about eating.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • klegg68
    Mallorca was at the end of April, do you think it would still have a knock on effect .... saying that I didn't take a real break after the week so could be a possibility.

Thanks
  • May be you are imagining it.
    Its hardly as if you are going fast or doing a lot of miles.
    Is it actually affecting how you perform on the bike?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • klegg68
    I m in work this morning walking around like I just finished a ride, sore joints, tired muscles, is it slowing me down? Honestly yes, the first 10-20 miles of a ride is like pedaling through mud, more like how you should feel at the end of a ride...I could understand it if I was going fast or doing lots of miles hence my post in search of possible causes ...
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I doubt it is due to the training camp, well not now anyhow. Are you coming down with an illness perhaps, or have other life stresses that mean recovery is pretty poor, remember all stresses cause the same body response in regards to hormones, and if these are elevated for any reason the recovery process will be very slow. Are you getting enough sleep, recovery happens best when you are asleep. Are you eat enough of the right foods, a decent amount of protein and fat, you need protein to repair muscles.

What sort of job do you do, on your feet all day, or doing something different in your day to day life compared with before.

One thing to try is more frequent rides, maybe not as hard as your normal rides, but an hour at a very easy pace, I know if I have 2 days off training I will ache like mad getting back on the bike so I ride nearly every day, though some of it is at a VERY EASY pace for an hour or so.

Joint soreness could point to something else though, you really shouldn't get joint pain unless you have an ongoing medical issue, are you stretching as well, as this will help ease muscle stiffness
  • NUFCrichard
    NUFCrichard Posts: 103
    May be you are imagining it.
    Its hardly as if you are going fast or doing a lot of miles.
    Is it actually affecting how you perform on the bike?

OP - I bet you are happy to have received such good advice!
    I would say you should try some easy recovery rides between your real rides. That will keep the blood flowing and hopefully keep the DOMS away. You could also try increasing your cadence.
  • klegg68
    SBezza wrote:
    I doubt it is due to the training camp, well not now anyhow. Are you coming down with an illness perhaps, or have other life stresses that mean recovery is pretty poor, remember all stresses cause the same body response in regards to hormones, and if these are elevated for any reason the recovery process will be very slow. Are you getting enough sleep, recovery happens best when you are asleep. Are you eat enough of the right foods, a decent amount of protein and fat, you need protein to repair muscles.

What sort of job do you do, on your feet all day, or doing something different in your day to day life compared with before.

One thing to try is more frequent rides, maybe not as hard as your normal rides, but an hour at a very easy pace, I know if I have 2 days off training I will ache like mad getting back on the bike so I ride nearly every day, though some of it is at a VERY EASY pace for an hour or so.

Joint soreness could point to something else though, you really shouldn't get joint pain unless you have an ongoing medical issue, are you stretching as well, as this will help ease muscle stiffness

Thanks this is helpful, I usually sit for most of the day in front of a computer which is good and bad for recovery in that you are resting but bad from the point of view that it is usually upright staring at a screen. On the easy rides I have tried going out with the kid's for a slow cycle to force me to slow down.

In terms of diet I usually have a protein/milk shake as an immediate recovery which I think is good, on the days I commute it is usually a bagel with Banana as soon as I get to work.

On the cadence I usually try to spin at 95 rpm and avoid pushing big gears.

I think I am doing things right and haven't had this problem before with the same regime hence my frustration but the slow recovery rides my be the thing.

Does anyone think a deep tissue/sports massage might help?

And thanks for all the posts
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Foam roller is a good idea, but do the entire area otherwise you can just push the knots and aches around.

You may be doing it but try and get some stretchers going before and after. Personally I think stretches that have active engagement are better but any type will help.

I feel sore if I don't stretch and my quads really feel it after a climbing session due to the weight training I also have.

It could just be your body saying slow down in which case make some sensible adjustments as you see fit and see if it works. Or just beat your body into submission and acclimatisation
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy