Advice on front/back tyres please

adamCCC
adamCCC Posts: 26
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi,

My back tyre is pretty bare now so I decided to get the Maxxis Larsen TT XC as the replacement (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78374).

I chose this as ive found myself cycling about 70% toe path and 30% trail, with the view to them hopefully being a bit quicker and more suited to tarmac.

I'm new to the world of mountain biking, but it just dawned on me that I would surely need both the front and back tyres to be the same to benefit from any additional speed etc that the maxxis larsen could offer over my current tyres.

My current tyres are continental speed kings, 2.3 (came with the bike) and the maxxis are 2.0. Will I need to replace the front tyre aswell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have cheap off road tyres so I cant comment.
  • adamCCC
    not an overly informative reply!

surely if the front tyre is wider and has more tread it wont be as fast at the new, slimmer less grippy back tyre and therefore reduce overall speed?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    adamCCC wrote:

surely if the front tyre is wider and has more tread it wont be as fast at the new, slimmer less grippy back tyre and therefore reduce overall speed?

I cant help my tyres were cheaper then what you linked there reasonably grippy still have a bit of slide of road but it makes cornering more fun. :P

trying tagging cool dad or something with a bit more knowledge then me.
  • adamCCC
    adamCCC wrote:

I cant help my tyres were cheaper then what you linked there reasonably grippy still have a bit of slide of road but it makes cornering more fun. :P

trying tagging cool dad or something with a bit more knowledge then me.

sorry not you! it was to the guy who just said "No."!
  • cooldad
    I just answered your question.
    Maybe. It might be more grippy than the front. Depends on compounds and terrain.
    Try it and see.
    But I would rather have more grip up front than less.
    Unless you have Black Chili up front the Larsen might be grippier
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    Here is a link to an interesting paper from Schwalbe about tyre widths. http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

Schwalbe don't think that narrower means quicker.

If you reduce your tyre volume it will make the back end a bit harsher over bumps.
  • adamCCC
    cooldad wrote:
    I just answered your question.
    Maybe. It might be more grippy than the front. Depends on compounds and terrain.
    Try it and see.
    But I would rather have more grip up front than less.
    Unless you have Black Chili up front the Larsen might be grippier

I'm greatful for your replies, but I dont think you have answered my question! You said no, then maybe, then try it and see!

I cant try it and see... Ive bought one maxxis larsen to replace the baldy back tyre, therefore I will have 2 different tyres on the bike, I dont have another Maxxis to "try it and see". This is why im asking if I need to buy another one!!

Its not really a question of grip.. As i said earlier, I got the slimmer, slicker Maxxis larsen as it will hopefully be faster than my old tyre - I need to know whether I need to buy another one for the front to in order to get the full benefit from it
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    You don't need to have matching tyres front and rear, they can be different widths and brands, normally wider up front for increased grip. So if the rear has worn out just change that.
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    It sounds like you are almost seeking permission to buy a new front tyre :)

As it has been said before, it is common to have a bigger tyre with more grip on the front or to run the same front and rear.

If your main concern is rolling resistance then look at putting a quicker rolling tyre on the front. You should keep in mind that with a skinnier tyre up front you will have less grip for steering and braking. So you may have to adjust your riding style accordingly. Don't expect to be able to go spanking into a muddy corning, anchor up, and make the turn, as you would on tyres with more grip.
  • cooldad
    Unless it's a nasty OE Conti, which will could have less grip than the Larsen.
    And by try it and see I meant fit the tyres you have and see how it feels, obviously.
    But for max speed on the road, get a road bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143

Great response. Are you going to put the same on every "what tyre" thread?
  • cooldad
    mcnultycop wrote:

Are you going to make a comment everytime he makes a stupid one?
    Could be a full time job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    cooldad wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

Are you going to make a comment everytime he makes a stupid one?
    Could be a full time job.

I don't have the patience. I should learn to try and just ignore these things though.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    I've got nobby nics front, racing ralph back. Seem good but Nobbys all round might be better?

Bike-discount.de

Save yourself 50% off UK prices.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'm still trying to work out which little piggy is on this toe path
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Nobby Nics or Maxxis Advantage IMO