Rack options for Specialized Tricross Sport Disc

Davsy
Davsy Posts: 17
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
I recently bought a Specialized Tricross Sport Disc to replace the mtb to use for commuting. It's working well but part of the plan was to move to a rack to allow me to carry a bit more and keep the old back a bit more fresh.

Having already added mudguards, there were no free eyelets by the rear wheel to add anything else (the tricross only seems to have one set).

Following a lengthy internet search, I bought a skewer rack specifically designed for discs (Tubus Disco) but quickly found that it could not clear the BB5 calliper as this is positioned on the outer seat stay

If it makes any difference, the guards are SKS Chromoplastics...

So the question is...
What rack will work with this bike (and with mudguards)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Not sure if its similair but i I have a 2012 Spesh Tricross Elite disc which i use for touring and i put the following rack on it with black SKS mudguards (the ones with two rivets front and back) it clears the BB5 with a bit of a tight squeeze but works well.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bla ... k-ec039236
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Can't you just use longer bolts and fix the mudguards and a normal pannier rack to the same eyelets?
  • Davsy
    Thanks for the replies.

Moray Gub - the bikes certainly look pretty similar; seems those brakes also are placed on the top of the seat stay so this may be an option. Just out of curiosity, do you have any problems with heel clearance and what panniers did you go for?
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Can't you just use longer bolts and fix the mudguards and a normal pannier rack to the same eyelets?

Good question - I'm pretty new to racks so don't know if the weight from the loaded rack would cause problems with a longer bolt... Anyone know about this?
  • moray_gub
    Davsy wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

Moray Gub - the bikes certainly look pretty similar; seems those brakes also are placed on the top of the seat stay so this may be an option. Just out of curiosity, do you have any problems with heel clearance and what panniers did you go for?
    JackPozzi wrote:

Good question - I'm pretty new to racks so don't know if the weight from the loaded rack would cause problems with a longer bolt... Anyone know about this?

Panniers i have are

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ort ... tch__plid_

brilliant piece of kit as waterproof as you can get and no issue with heel clearance.

As far as using longer bolts i have done that previously and it does work though but if the bolt is too long you do have to watch the bolt does not come into contact with your chain/sprocket when you are in higher gears.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Davsy wrote:
    Shouldn't be an issue - providing the bolt doesn't protrude through to the chain/cassette or to the disk.
    I'd put the rack stay next to the frame and the mudguard stay on the outside of that (all outside the frame) as you'd want the weight of what you have on the rack to be mounted closest to the frame.

If the bolt is too long then you can always cut it down - sand down the cut end to remove burs. I find the easiest way to do this is to put the bolt into a drill, spin the drill and apply to sandpaper.

Can't help you with the right rack - I've got a Tricross, but it's rim brakes ...
  • alex_uk
    alex_uk Posts: 56
    I have a different bike, but maybe have ended up solving the same problem. I have a hamax child seat, and also a trailgator arm. As well as mudguards. So I couldn't use a regular rack as this would be completely in the way.

I decided to get a ToPeak Beam Rack - it has a QR clamp to connect to the seat post - and that's the only fixing it uses. If I'm using the child seat, then obviously I take the rack off. If I'm using the trailgator, then I can use the rack but no panniers. If I have no children in tow, then I can use the rack with its panniers.

The pannier bag itself is the type that expands out as you need it. Middle bit ("on" the rack) is good enough for lunch, keys, bits and bobs. Panniers on either side unzip and fold out, and can hold entire change of clothes + outer wear. So for commuting it's perfect.

Beam Rack weight limit is about 7kg, which is good for commuting.
  • Davsy
    Thanks for the information and ideas, guys.

I'd been looking at the Ortlieb panniers (assuming that the rack idea will one day come together!), certainly look like they'll last and compared to Carradice sqr stuff more bang for your buck capacity-wise.

It would be great to find a rack that attached through the eyelets and would actually fit a disc frame, but for the moment I think it looks like the Blackburn EX-1 disc compatible one - hopefully the shop will let me return the first one I bought!

The Topeak Beam rack looks like an interesting option - think I would use that as a last resort as while the weight limit would be great for commuting, if I ever wanted to try touring the rack problem would rear its ugly head all over again! Cheers for the idea though.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Specialized do a rack for the Tricross ... any concept stores near you?
  • moray_gub
    Davsy wrote:

I'd been looking at the Ortlieb panniers (assuming that the rack idea will one day come together!), certainly look like they'll last and compared to Carradice sqr stuff more bang for your buck capacity-wise.

It would be great to find a rack that attached through the eyelets and would actually fit a disc frame, but for the moment I think it looks like the Blackburn EX-1 disc compatible one - hopefully the shop will let me return the first one I bought!

Ortlieb Paniers are the dogs danglies imo i have tried a few over the years and none compare to them. As for the skewer fixed rack and pannier combo it works well for me and have toured over UK and Ireland with it without any problems at all.
  • Davsy
    Slowbike wrote:
    Specialized do a rack for the Tricross ... any concept stores near you?

Yes - not far away. I've emailed to check if it would work. The blurb talks about suitable for bikes with canti brakes so will wait to here from them about disc compatibility. Cheers for the info.
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Davsy wrote:

Ortlieb Paniers are the dogs danglies imo i have tried a few over the years and none compare to them. As for the skewer fixed rack and pannier combo it works well for me and have toured over UK and Ireland with it without any problems at all.

Think that's the decision made with panniers then!