Goodbye to deep dish rims

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
The latest catalog from Colorado Cyclist has, on it's cover, a photo that has encouraged me to throw away all my deep dish rims. It shows 3 guys in a break. Two of these men have power meter cranks and deep rims, the third rider has very shallow rims(OMG - maybe even aluminum) and no crank power meter. What's really shocking is this third man is leading the other two. How can this be? Don't we all know that deep dish and power meters are much better than any "bum" riding "old tech". Don't the other two riders know that all they have to do is turn up their power meters and their wheels will simply cause them to glide by this this pretender. And yet there he was out there in front. Shocking, to say the least. And after all that was promised us by the makers of these power meters and wheels. What's next? Downtube shifters. :cry::cry:

Comments

• Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Maybe if he had Deep Carbon rims and a PM he would've dropped them...

Who won?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Please post a link that says that Power Meter cranks make your bike go faster.

Good job most of us realise that this post is completely tongue in cheek hey - although i'm sure that a few will take it seriously enough to have an argument with you!! :lol::lol:

Can i have toffee popcorn please - to whoever is buying?? 8)
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    PM = Positive Mentality - sorry I wasn't aware it stood for Power Meter
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    It's easily explained by the fact that the leading rider on the old bike is listening to 80's music on his headphones and is consequently more motivated to finish the race as soon as possible to stop the torture.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    dennisn wrote:
    What's really shocking is this third man is leading the other two. How can this be?

Is one of the "other two" Filippo Pozzato?
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I guess the two guys with the aero and power kit are biding their time - it's a break after all. Let the luddite with the old tec knacker himself out and then unleash the fury of technology.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    That must be me, with my new toy... :wink:

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ot-omega-3
    left the forum March 2023
  • dennisn
    pkripper wrote:
    I guess the two guys with the aero and power kit are biding their time - it's a break after all. Let the luddite with the old tec knacker himself out and then unleash the fury of technology.

Thanx, I needed a good laugh. :lol::lol:
  • dennisn
    Please post a link that says that Power Meter cranks make your bike go faster.

Can't seem to come up with it but I know it was promised somewhere. If only I had the money I'd be so much faster. :oops:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They were probably just bitching about him out of earshot.
    If there were more photos they would have either shown the two guys sprinting off ahead of him or retired at the side of the road laughing.

How much do you want for the wheels? :P
  • dennisn
    I’d love to see this catalogue cover photo. I feel there must be extenuating circumstances you’ve neglected to describe. Perhaps the road is going steeply uphill, where lightweight rims are well-known to take whole minutes out of any opponent on aero wheels?

But IF the road was going steeply uphill why wouldn't the two other riders be using lightweight rims to avoid losing those "whole minutes"? In any case so much for my ever considering DA or Zipp deep carbon wheels. I want to ride a winner.
  • Just post a photo Dennisn
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dennisn
    Just post a photo Dennisn

Wish I could. Every time I try to post a picture I get a screen that says "Entity to large".
    Ah, to be young again and able to understand the workings of things. :(
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    dennisn wrote:
    What's really shocking is this third man is leading the other two. How can this be?

Is one of the "other two" Filippo Pozzato?

it's Pozzato and Valverde and there are still 500m to the finish, so they are pathologically incapable of sticking their nose into the wind

Jens is out front and doesn't give a fook
  • dennisn
    Why, you just need to make the entity smaller! Simple.

Gee, I didn't think of that. :oops: :wink:

Now, just how does one do that? :? Remember, I'm old and don't always understand all these new concepts.
  • greasedscotsman
    As Dennis still hasn't got his finger out and posted the photo, here is proof for the doubters!

miroir-198502--5--moser-hinault-trophee-barrachi.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    As Dennis still hasn't got his finger out and posted the photo, here is proof for the doubters!

miroir-198502--5--moser-hinault-trophee-barrachi.jpg

I think this is Moser passing the other guy in the famous Giro time trial where the Helicopter was constantly on his back pushing him faster... :lol:
  • greasedscotsman
    edited June 2013
    I think this is Moser passing the other guy in the famous Giro time trial where the Helicopter was constantly on his back pushing him faster... :lol:

That would be Fignon, not Hinault.

(Photo is from the Trophée Baracchi in 1984, it's a two up TT)
  • ugo.santalucia

That would be Fignon, not Hinault.

(Photo is from the Trophée Baracchi in 1984, it's a two up TT)

I didn't realise it was Hinault, so young... :shock: