Tyre Size Problem?

gaz79
gaz79 Posts: 28
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
I just put a new tyre on my front wheel, pumped it up and the tyre popped off the rim directly below the valve. I've double checked the size and it matches with the previous tyre (700x28c). Am I missing something? Do tyres sizes vary like shoe sizes?!?

I can send the tyres back but I'm only going to buy the same size again. That seems ridiculous. Why is nothing ever simple......

Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you had seated the tyre under the tube?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    This isn't some ancient rim that doesn't have a lip ?
    Or a rim on the way out ?
    Not had that on modern rims, unless the tyre wasn't seated, or the tube was caught.
    [likely teaching you to suck eggs, sorry]
    I inflate the thing enough that the tube fills the tyre, but I can still squeeze the sides of the tyre in off the rim with finger & thumb. Then go round the tyre pinching it to check it's seated & tube isn't caught.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    make sure the tube is well seated in the tyre (inflated enough to hold its shape, and the tyre is sitting nicely on the rim before you start properly inflating it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gaz79
    gaz79 Posts: 28
    Thanks for the replies. The tube has a hard circular area directly below the valve that left barely any room between itself and the rim, making the tyre spill out of the rim when I attempted to inflate it. It just took a bit of patience. Wish I'd looked a bit harder last night rather than making myself look an idiot on here! I'll know next time. Cheers anyway.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    One little trick there is to put a little bit of air in the tube then seat the tyre. Then, push the valve into the tyre (so just push the pump on quite hard) - inflate a bit - quick visual and then pump to pressure.

I've been beside the road fixing a puncture, pumped up by hand - fitted the wheel, spun only to find the tyre hadn't seated properly and had to start again!