Headsets for beginners

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to replace my headset for my Voodoo Bantu as I've found rust pouring out of it and some serious wobble when I changed my forks.

The problem is that it's the only component on a bike I have virtually no knowledge about the component.

I believe the one I have on my bike is an internal cartridge unit but this is only an educated guess.

Do you remove them by tapping a bar with a hammer on each side as you would do with a 1" threaded headset and installing the new one by pressing them on? Another question is what would be a suitable headset to buy for my bike?

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Can't you just service it?
  • MTB noob
    I don't know how.

Anyway it would be nice for the bike to have a new set as it looks worn as well as it being completely shot.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So work out what it is, buy one and read Parktools on fitting.
    Headset standards in Tech FAQ's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read parktools.

all you need to know is there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MTB noob
    Is there any difference between regular headsets and 'Campagnolo' headsets?
  • islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    Years ago a headset was a headset, campagnolo or not it would probably fit. Now there are plenty of variations of the once simple part, find out the exact spec of yours and buy the same. Ditto park tools advice, that tube place is also useful.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, totally different fitting, a Bantu isn't campag which is fairly rare on anything but very weight concsious MTB's.

From memory it's a standard external bearing, pics will tell us easily enough if it is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MTB noob
    The headset is completely unbranded and so is the product description on Halfords or Voodoo's own website. All the information says is that its a "Semi-integrated 1 1/8" Aheadset". I'm going to upload a picture in a few minutes to help.
  • cooldad
    Have you actually looked at the headset standards doc? It will show you the differences between different types. To make an educated guess you need to educate yourself.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MTB noob
    So to make sure, my headset will fit the majority of the ones available online(with exception to otherwise specified)?

And here's the pictures as promised
  • cooldad
    Don't give up your day job for photography. Just take the bearings out and get new ones.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • msp1
    msp1 Posts: 59
    Recently replaced my headset, after days of surfing trying to find the right one I found Cane Creeks website great for identifying headset type, just put in make and model of bike and it will give you the SHIS standard.

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

I also emailed Chainreaction technical. They were great, told me what headset type I needed and gave me several hyperlinks to suitable ones, from £15 to £115. Spent more money on the tools to remove the old headset than the headset itself :roll:
  • The Rookie
    Semi-integrated is semi-integrated style, assuming it is semi-integrated that is what you need.

A photo side on helps, one end on just shows a 1 1/8" hole in a bearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • scatty76
    scatty76 Posts: 23
    Just a thought cuz I'm no expert, but the picture looks like it has Angular Contact Bearings, certainly from the look of the cups...But I would check that with one of the forum Techies, I don't want to give any bad advice as I know learning this Headset tech stuff seems more complicated than it needs to be!
  • cooldad
    No they aren't - just read the Tech docs, or Parktools, or Cane Creek website. As suggested in various posts above.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MTB noob
    From what the headset finder said via msp1's link, I have a zero-stack headset (44mm upper, 44mm lower semi-integrated).

The issue is that I can't find any ones with a decent review or not in pink or purple. Even the Cane Creeks and Token ones are out of stock or unavailable for anything under £30
  • The Rookie
    Halfords, FSA No11 circa £18 and black
  • Asif Tufal
    Asif Tufal Posts: 109
    I've got these zero-stack/semi-integrated headsets on two bikes: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=114