Anonymous Survey

MJLwhs
MJLwhs Posts: 2
edited June 2013 in The Crudcatcher
Hi Guys!

I am currently coming to the end of my IT course at college and as part of the unit i need to collect over 75 responses to my music piracy question. I figured that all the people are here a nice bunch! so i was hoping you could help me out by following the link below. Cheers!!!

P.S. All the data is completely anonymous, i don't ask for your name and the data will not be distributed to anyone else.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GSWSHKJ

Comments

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    dafuq-is-this-shit.jpg

Strongly suggest you do your research before spamming a forum with your coursework.

Here's something you'll need to learn before embarking on a career: yes, I do want fries with that.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Clank wrote:
    dafuq-is-this-shit.jpg

Strongly suggest you do your research before spamming a forum with your coursework.

Here's something you'll need to learn before embarking on a career: yes, I do want fries with that.

Well said clank old chap!!! oh! can i have a big mac please you spotty herbert?
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Third question in and I realised the OP is from the special school
    3. Do you have internet access?
    Yes
    No

Wonder how many click on No?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I did, so at least one.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    fukkoff.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    MJLwhs wrote:
    Hi Guys!
    . I figured that all the people are here a nice bunch!

tumblr_manv3ythPe1qd27f7.gif
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Gazlar wrote:
    MJLwhs wrote:
    Hi Guys!
    . I figured that all the people are here a nice bunch!

tumblr_manv3ythPe1qd27f7.gif

depends on where he normally surfs
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I've answered it. I hope it helps.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    You don't get CC do you...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Ok lets find this guy a suitable ditch...

I want the cash from selling his Kidney's!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    "How many pieces of music have you downloaded illegally?"

"Potato"

It had to be done.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    "How many pieces of music have you downloaded illegally?"

"Potato"

It had to be done.

Smoooth! 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    In all seriousness though, I use Zune/ Microsoft music these days (like a poor persons spotify). It's pretty good actually for finding new music and such.

I wonder what companies like spotify have done for music labels revenues. On one hand, I don't tend to buy albums anymore, as I pay a monthly fee instead for all the music I want. On the other hand, I don't pirate albums anymore either, yarrrr.

Yeehaa? Mule? You homos are pretty up on this kind of stuff, any ideas?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Spotify's great for both artists and record companies, since they get paid, and the users either get their unlimited music for free (supported by ads on spotify), or they pay a subscription, and can listen to anything they want.
    Same with something like the Zune subscription, although there's no free (for the end user) option.

I find it curious that Zune has been doing the subscription music thing for a long while, whereas Google has recently started doing it, and even more recently, apple announced it - but guess who's getting all the publicity?

As a listener, I love the way spotify works, and I genuinely think it's easier to find music on it legally, than it is to pirate it. I also really like how it can send you down some interesting musical avenues to discover something new.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Most labels are pretty screwed to be honest as they make so little money now through downloads. Even the big, major companies are struggling, but they do survive by having the big names and recording film soundtracks etc. Most musicians I know that are signed to labels seem to get a decent allowance, which they then plow back into their next abum, leaving them with barely any money.

The music industry didn't really see the internet as a threat when it first started up, which was a huge mistake in hindsight. Had they all come together and created their own version of iTunes in the early 2000's, then maybe things would be different. Sadly, i imagine in the future, most bands will be recorded in small studios (ie bedrooms) and everything will be downloaded (which is a travesty as the quality of downloads is disgusting quite frankly) or listened to on streaming sites.

Anyway, I should be doing work really, so that's just a brief (and possibly confusing) opinion of mine.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The music industry didn't really see the internet as a threat when it first started up, which was a huge mistake in hindsight.
    When exactly do you think the music industry started up?

Digital sales, and things like spotify are actually pretty good for most labels. Digital distribution cuts down the cost of duplication, storing, shipping, and logistics of selling a physical product.
    On top of that, people end to impulse buy music more these days, from their phones, or tablets, so even though the revenue per sale is down, things are almost balancing out.

Album sales are suffering though, I'm led to believe. People are buying one song, instead of an album.
    That's probably more of an issue for us oldies, who appreciate an album as a complete piece of work, not just a random collection of songs.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The internet, not the music industry.
  • thekickingmule
    The music industry didn't really see the internet as a threat when it first started up, which was a huge mistake in hindsight.
    I meant when the interweb started up.

I see what you're saying about digital sales and the less money involved with downloads, but then, as you said again, album sales are slowing up. This was where most money was made for labels, singles rarely made money but were done for publicity more than anything.

The thing is that if you're writing songs or albums that are going to be downloaded to phones, mp3 players etc. then the quality doesn't need to be as high. As a result, labels don't spend as much on the production, or the quality gear (or, as I said, more home recordings come out). If iTunes and others offered high quality recordings, maybe for a little extra money, I think I'd be happier, but I'm aware I'm in the minority and the majority don't know the difference between mp3, wav and flac.

To be honest, it's not something I've really looked into in the last 3 or 4 years, so things may have changed. Hopefully for the better.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • YeehaaMcgee
    edited June 2013
    :oops: I see :lol:

I genuinely think that there's been a decline in the quality of music on average, because of the availability of so much great home recording equipment.
    Labels are less inclined to pay for a big studio, if the band can self-record at home, in hotel rooms and touring etc.

Now, there are a few people who excel at this, and do just great without requiring the guidance (or "outside ear") of a producer, or an engineer, but most, just don't get that same sheen by themselves.
    That's not to say their music isn't any good, or not worthy, just that the production values may not be as high.
    Musicianship is an art, as is song writing and singing. But producing and engineering are also arts unto themselves. Not everyone can master all of them.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeehaa? Mule? You homos are pretty up on this kind of stuff, any ideas?
    That's the nicest way of calling someone a nerd that I have ever heard
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Not so much calling them nerds (although they quite obviously are :lol:) more just knowing they are both in some way involved in recording and such like.
  • thekickingmule
    :oops: I see :lol:

I genuinely think that there's been a decline in the quality of music on average, because of the availability of so much great home recording equipment.
    Labels are less inclined to pay for a big studio, if the band can self-record at home, in hotel rooms and touring etc.

Now, there are a few people who excel at this, and do just great without requiring the guidance (or "outside ear") of a producer, or an engineer, but most, just don't get that same sheen by themselves.
    That's not to say their music isn't any good, or not worthy, just that the production values may not be as high.
    Musicianship is an art, as is song writing and singing. But producing and engineering are also arts unto themselves. Not everyone can master all of them.
    + Potato!

EDIT: Actually, this reinforces an answer I gave at an interview I had. The question was "Where do you think the music industry is moving to in the future?" and I responded saying better equipment for the home user, and more home recordings etc.
    Didn't get the job though :roll:
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Maybe they were going to give you the job, but you made them realise the post was redundant :lol:
    Most of our recording these days are big classical setups, which just aren't feasible in home studios. We also occasionally get a band using our studio to track drums, but then taking the multis home to overdub the rest of the arrangement. Drums are beyond most home studio setups for indie bands, and orchestras, well...!

Bread and butter work for us these days though, is TV dubbing. I think we're the only facility in the region at the moment with proper EBU\Dolby loudness metering, which is becoming a common requirement for broadcasters.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wasn't the industry all stoned at Woodstock around that time. No wonder they didn't notice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thekickingmule
    Maybe they were going to give you the job, but you made them realise the post was redundant :lol:
    Most of our recording these days are big classical setups, which just aren't feasible in home studios. We also occasionally get a band using our studio to track drums, but then taking the multis home to overdub the rest of the arrangement. Drums are beyond most home studio setups for indie bands, and orchestras, well...!

Bread and butter work for us these days though, is TV dubbing. I think we're the only facility in the region at the moment with proper EBU\Dolby loudness metering, which is becoming a common requirement for broadcasters.
    :lol: The minute I said it I wondered if I'd shot myself in the foot!

Yeah, classical is still after good quality places. It was something I tried doing, as I have all the location recording equipment, and a location with good acoustics, but I never got the time to set up any business model.
    I thought it was TV/film stuff that was bringing in the money, at least there is a constant need from there. Don't suppose there's any jobs going at yours is there? ;):lol:
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    a mate of mine is in aband and when he played me the track (without lyrics) it was superb..all made in his bedroom and then they went to a studio to record the lyrics. I couldn't believe the quality.

but then again it was only bass, synth and drums - he uses and electronic drum kit and I was sceptical at first but it sounded great
  • Gazlar
    I miss the days when I was in a band and making records. My proudest moment was when my 12 inch was in the number 2 slot
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Gazlar wrote:
    I miss the days when I was in a band and making records. My proudest moment was when my 12 inch was in the number 2 slot

:shock: You told me it was when I gave you your first trombone. Rusty as it was... :cry:
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar wrote:

:shock: You told me it was when I gave you your first trombone. Rusty as it was... :cry:

I was being kind, it was more a tarnished piccolo than rusty trombone
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp