possible full suspension build depending on price

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
man my life's boring. I need a exciting hobby. Might look into building a full suspension for some larger more aggressive riding. where shall I start anyway I love my hardtail but I would really like a full suspension bike and building it will take my mind of things well as provide a hobby as such. anyway I've NEVER built a bike before yet alone a full suspension ideally I would like to do cheaply well cheaper then buying one anyway. is there any books or dvd's which can help me build it properly. any advice on parts and etc would be gr8.

what im looking for in a bike.

larger frame then my current hardtail atm I have 17 inch would ideally like a between a 18-21 inch frame
as for gears for me it seems a little pointless have 24 which is what I have currently seems I only use the highest gear's mostly.

mostly probably gonna be using a mixture of 2nd hand parts and new parts.

thanks for reading.

O and my budget is undecided it really depends on what I swap from my hardtail to the full suspension

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How long is a piece of string.
    Both in terms of larger and more aggressive, cheaper than what, and what you can swap.

ps if you are only using the highest gears, you are either doing something wrong or missing out on lots.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    Both in terms of larger and more aggressive, cheaper than what, and what you can swap.

ps if you are only using the highest gears, you are either doing something wrong or missing out on lots.

cheaper then say the average price of a fairly decent 2nd hand full suspension bike.
    on the gears front I don't see the point of having 24 gears because ive never used anything about say below say 18th gear because I think its personally pointless if you got to be first gear and knacker yourself out to get up a hill your either unfit or stupid you could push it up and save yourself the embarrassment of looking a like a moron. off course if it race its different.

brakes etc wheels tyres etc swapping?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd just get the Rockrider 6.5 - the frame is worth that alone! I doubt you could build one cheaper.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-65 ... 08678.html

Then you have a good 27 speed drivetrain, air shocks, hydro brakes, good parts.
  • Anonymous
    taking a quick look on pink bike looks like i can reasonably nice full suspension bike for few hundred with frame starting at £100.

the rock rider does look amazing but that's a bit higher then my budget

this is sort of frame style im looking at or maybe the merida AM frames

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mountain-bike ... 3382e426dd

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... w&dur=1060
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    cooldad wrote:

cheaper then say the average price of a fairly decent 2nd hand full suspension bike.
    on the gears front I don't see the point of having 24 gears because ive never used anything about say below say 18th gear because I think its personally pointless if you got to be first gear and knacker yourself out to get up a hill your either unfit or stupid you could push it up and save yourself the embarrassment of looking a like a moron. off course if it race its different.

brakes etc wheels tyres etc swapping?

Seriously?

As far as I can see you've never actually been mountain biking.

I'm all for people trying to build bikes, I just don't think you should.
  • Anonymous
    chunkers I cant work you out. you seem nice and reasonable sometimes then a bit of a prick some other times. I don't see myself building a bike either but if you don't try new things you'll know what your missing I guess.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Andrew, genuine advice here. Just get out and ride your bike loads, building a full Suss isn't the answer.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    Andrew, genuine advice here. Just get out and ride your bike loads, building a full Suss isn't the answer.

ive been riding all days I spent 4 hours in a park cycling every route I could find. did have a fun!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't see the point of having 24 gears because ive never used anything about say below say 18th gear because I think its personally pointless if you got to be first gear and knacker yourself out to get up a hill your either unfit or stupid you could push it up and save yourself the embarrassment of looking a like a moron.

Where do you live? Holland? I'd like to see you get round (for example) Gisburn or Stainburn using only 18th gear and above, lol. :lol: My bike's 27 gears, but I'm never on the big ring - contemplating removing it and fitting a bashring instead, since all it ever gets used for is occasionally catching on big rocks, lol...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Riding round a park, unless it's a gnarly park, is not exactly mountain biking. Try a steep, sharp, uphill switchback and you'll be crying for granny.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2013
    I live in Suffolk if you can find a hill worth cycling up your doing well.

I've exhausted the local parks nearly.

today round the park I gave it my all I tried to find the hardest route's I could and gave the bike everything I had and it held up well. but I think I could of gone faster if dared and didn't wanna come off.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Riding round a park, unless it's a gnarly park, is not exactly mountain biking. Try a steep, sharp, uphill switchback and you'll be crying for granny.

I've yet to complete the climb from the bottom of Stainburn back up to the top, even in the granny ring. To do it in 18th he'd need thighs three feet thick, lol.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You don't need full sus to ride more aggressively. My first two seasons downhill racing were on a hardtail (and I had reasonable results) and I was no faster when I got my first full sus. Get a cheap dirt jump bike, something like a Giant STP, buy a full face helmet and some pads and head out to the local DH tracks.
    Building bikes is simple, any idiot can bolt bits together (a bike mechanic will do it better though). Choosing the right bits takes more skill.
  • pvtpile
    pvtpile Posts: 74
    Pushing a bike up a hill will make you look more of a 'moron' than riding up even if you need an easy gear.
  • Anonymous
    could a hardtail with specs like this survive being thrashed round a forest/park

Frame : Aluminium double butted
    Sizes : 48
    Fork : Suntour XCT 100mm jackable and adjustable
    Tyres : off road tyres
    Transmision : Shimano
    Crankset : Triple 24 x 34 x 42
    Shifters : Shimano 24-speed
    Brakes : Shimano mecanic discs front/rear
    Weight : 13.9 kg
  • Chunkers1980
    What's your point of posting the specs of your bike?
  • 97th choice
    Yes Andrew it will cope fine. Or not.

I put a dent in the rear rim of my trance last week, and scored the top of the stanchions. It doesn't mean I need a new bike. It means I need to not fall off on rock gardens.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Chunkers1980
    Oh I see. Yes, but as you've discovered your wheels are not up to it.
  • Anonymous
    What's your point of posting the specs of your bike?

its from my days as a computer fan.

people would post there specs up and people would tell them using either past experience or technical advice if there system could handle what they gonna use it for.

I posted bike specs because if I wanna do anything more then racing round a forest and a park on the bike I don't want the bike to either fall apart or fail which could lead to me getting serious injury so im curious to see if I could hold up under the abuse.

if the bike didn't cost only £142 I would'nt be posting specs. but because you get what you pay for with these kinda things thank you.
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2013
    Yes Andrew it will cope fine. Or not.

I put a dent in the rear rim of my trance last week, and scored the top of the stanchions. It doesn't mean I need a new bike. It means I need to not fall off on rock gardens.

I sure your bike was 10X the price of mine and I really worry about doing anything mental on mine considering. sorry to hear you crashed are you okay?

and in reply to chunkers no my wheels cant really hack it ive tried to straighten them out as best as I can I cant afford new ones for at least 3 weeks thou so im making do.
  • 97th choice
    95% of mountain biking injury are caused by the rider's talent failing unexpectedly. And chicks dig scars

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    95% of mountain biking injury are caused by the rider's talent failing unexpectedly. And chicks dig scars

im not near talented enough to try anything mental I did my most aggressive/fastest trip round the local park I could of went a little bit faster if I didn't loose my bottle when it came to a bridge the trouble was theres a bit of a lump before the bridge and then a lump as the end of bridge and I didn't want to hit the lump at speed. so I slowed down and my brakes made a horrible sound but there we are that's life
  • Kowalski675

That moment when you realise your exhuberance has outreached your talent and your train of thought switches from "I think I can get away with this" to "How much is this gonna hurt?", lol...
  • Anonymous

That moment when you realise your exhuberance has outreached your talent and your train of thought switches from "I think I can get away with this" to "How much is this gonna hurt?", lol...

be there done that today taking a sharp turn at speed pedal scraped along the floor dug in a bit and I ended up loosing control and going into a patch on long grass and deep mud and general all is good thou besides the slight odour of animal shit.
  • Kowalski675
    Have you considered cornering with your pedals level, or the inside pedal up and the outside one down?... :roll:

Just a thought, lol.
  • Anonymous
    Have you considered cornering with your pedals level, or the inside pedal up and the outside one down?... :roll:

Just a thought, lol.

everyone makes mistake's

my bikes needs lots of work to make it decent and so does my riding style

I need new forks
    new wheels
    new seat post and seat
  • Kowalski675

Just a thought, lol.

everyone makes mistake's

Not everyone makes mistakes with apostrophes... :roll:
  • Anonymous

Just a thought, lol.

everyone makes mistake's

do you have OCD?
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753

i found that too...... but teeth hanging out your head....... not so much......or having to eat yoghurt for a week.... a bit of a downer too :(
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Kowalski675

Just a thought, lol.

everyone makes mistake's

do you have OCD?

No, but rampant illiteracy gets on my tits - how the f**k does anyone go through 11-13 years of school and still not know how to use something as simple as a soddin' apostrophe? :roll: