Stiff external BB

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm not even sure there is a solution to this but here goes

Basically, my external BB won't loosen on either side. I mentioned it briefly in another thread, and a different tool with longer leverage was suggested (which has been tried - and failed).

Someone else has said to me get some penetrating fluid (WD40 or similar) to the threads, which I cant see being possible as the BB is so tight in the frame that the fluid would just sit on the external cups, externally - if that makes sense :?

I am pretty sure I am turning the spanner the right way. I posted on another forum asking which way to turn, and apparently all patriots loosen the BB by turning the BB tool the same direction that the cranks turn (clockwise)

The reason I am trying to remove the BB is to replace a spacer with a BB mounted bottom roller chain tensioner.

I have kind of given up, but the chain tensioner is just sitting in my room doing sweet F all and it's annoying me.

Bike is a patriot 7+ (2005)

BB is a sefelt Howitzer Race BB

Anyone got any other suggestions or shall I just take it to LBS?

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    I am pretty sure I am turning the spanner the right way. I posted on another forum asking which way to turn, and apparently all patriots loosen the BB by turning the BB tool the same direction that the cranks turn (clockwise)

This is only true if you are facing the driveside of the bike.

If you are facing the non driveside cup, then it has a standard lefty-loosey, righty-tighty thread. When facing the driveside cup, it has the opposite thread (reverse thread), unless, the BB shell is a 70mm Italian threaded.

I am sure that you can come up with a variation of the Stickman method for extracting stuck pedals and apply it to extraction of BB cups:

stickmans_method_01.jpg

Note:

-The best BB tool for this job is the cup type tool.
    -The ring type BB spanner tool also works but you will need to make sure that it doesn't slip off.
    -Don't try this with a crescent type BB spanner tool as it will just score a groove into the soft aluminium cup.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A few short sharp whacks with a rubber mallet on the tool will loosen most things.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ammonia.....the aluminium cups oxidise in the frame, ammonia dissolves the oxide, we had the exact same with my sons frame, 1 hour soaking in ammonia and they came out easily.

The thread will probably want chasing out afterwards.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    Thanks. Bikaholic, thanks - I did mean to specify in the OP that I was talking about the driveside but must of forgotten.

I think I will try the rubber mallet before ammonia. How do you soak them in ammonia? do you just lower the bb shell (with bb in) into a tub of ammonia?? does the ammonia not penetrate the axle or spindle thing? Sounds messy.

Thanks all
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be aware the cup type of tool does not work with the Howitzer BB due to the axle.

just use the right tool and add more force.

drive side
    bb02.jpg

non drive side
    bb04.jpg

as covered in depth on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just remember to pull up at the rear of the bike to remove!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    Thanks. I was always 99% sure - just never contacted orange to ask them directly so was never 100%. I did read the info on parktools, in depth, but unfortunately they didnt have a patriot 7+ 2005 as their example so I still wasn't 100% sure.
    nicklouse wrote:
    just use the right tool and add more force.

Like a rubber mallet? Yep I'm planning on it.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    nicklouse wrote:
    be aware the cup type of tool does not work with the Howitzer BB due to the axle.

My guess is that you're referring to the Park BBT-19 ---> this doesn't actually list the Howitzer BB as being compatible.

Truvativ's own tool is the one you want:

71-lL4g%2BH7S._SX425_.jpg
  • pesky_jones
    That looks better, is it just a normal spanner that you use on the back? Got a lot a more grip than the ring type tool I'm using atm
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bikaholic wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

My guess is that you're referring to the Park BBT-19 ---> this doesn't actually list the Howitzer BB as being compatible.

Truvativ's own tool is the one you want:

71-lL4g%2BH7S._SX425_.jpg
    nope just refering to most of them out there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    A few short sharp whacks with a rubber mallet on the tool will loosen most things.

This worked, thanks. I've fitted the tensioner now and it works a treat
  • cooldad
    Hammers fix everything.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools