Should I drop the Chorus for Force 22 ?

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Long time user of Chorus 11 speed but I fancy a change and Sram Force 22 is favourite, money wise and looks wise.
If you can set your long term brand affinities aside and try and be objective would you say I'm mental to be doing this ? (the wife says I am but says that re every purchase).
Mavic wheel is easily changed to accept Sram so no big expense there.
Have a BB30 frame so Force chainset would go in nicely, although.... would the Chorus 11 chainset work ok with the Force 11 ? as it could make the change cheaper if I was to swap chainsets in a few months time.
Or would you wait a while and see how the reviews go for Force 22 when people have used it for a few months ?
It'll be going on my Planet-X N2A in Guru colours if it matters.

Thoughts please

Ta
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Check your Mavic wheel can be converted for Sram/Shimano 11 Speed first though and not just to Sram/Shimano 10 speed
  • galatzo
    It can, it's a 2012 Ksyrium SR.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Cool.

Up to you then, its a bit of a cross-grade really, if you prefer something about it fair enough, and you've still avoided shitmano so you're not actually mental.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I would say there is nothing in the mechanical quality or the looks, between them, but fully understand if you are doing it to get into Double Taps.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Unless you have another bike you need a groupset for and the chorus will get passed on, I would agree with your wife and say that you're mental.. :wink:

It's not an upgrade - it's possibly even a downgrade, although you could debate that. Chorus is functionally the same as SR (although maybe Force is functionally the same as Red).

There are much better things to spend money on IMO - new wheels, a power meter, cycling holiday etc.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Assuming there's nothing you actually dislike about Chorus and simply fancy a change, I'm not sure how anyone could say you are mental. Whimsy drives an awful lot of purchase decisions. If it's SRAM you want though, surely Red would be a more fitting change; an actual upgrade vs. arguably a downgrade?
  • galatzo
    I think I'm just getting lured by shiny new stuff.
    Going to Austria for a sportive at end of August and looking for every little bit of help I can get, although last time I attempted it and didn't quite make it I realised it's not about the bike. No bike or part would have got me any further than I did after 11 1/2 hours on the bike last time.
    I'm going to be a stone lighter and have a 29 on the back rather than a 27 this time which I'm sure/hope will be that bit of extra help I need to get me over the top the Timmlesjoch and home.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Nothing wrong with getting lured by shiny stuff, but if you buy something that is no better than something you have already just because you feel like a change, you are paying a lot of money for a very temporary gain. A couple of months after buying the Force 22 it will have lost its novelty value and you will be in exactly the same situation as you are now. At least if you buy a better set of wheels or something you don't already have, you will still be in a better position even after the novelty wears off.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Yep, certifiably insane. Downgrading and swapping to something without any of the cachet of your existing groupset. Don't do it!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Don't change campag for that sram rubbish imo, you'll only regret it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fancy a change. They both change gears and they both do it well so change for what end? It will not change your bike or how well you ride so what's the point. Ah the point is to stimulate the economy well if you want to do that go right ahead.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Mad, keep the chorus.If it's shiny new stuff you want I'd be looking elsewhere. Buy some fancy new kit or something instead.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Bonkers. Keep the Chorus.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Bonkers. Keep the Chorus.

Yeah, wot he said. Bonkers.
  • galatzo
    Consensus seems to be bonkers.
    I think a Scott CR1 Pro from Westbrook and a 12-29 Chorus cassette would be a better way to spend some cash and maybe help me on my Austrian epic.
    http://www.oetztaler-radmarathon.com/ma ... index.html
    Sure the CR1 will be more suitable than the N2A but whatever I ride it's going to be a world of pain again.
    Can't wait !
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    Galatzo it's all in your mind so whatever you decide to choose is the right answer. When I regularly get dropped by my cycling pals on climbs, tempo or long-ride stamina it doesn't seem to matter which of my bikes I am on and whether I am using SRAM Rival, 9-speed classic Dura Ace or 9-speed classic Record Ti at the time. And the bike I choose to take out is all about how I feel at the time and the pure enjoyment of the kit. When I was lucky enough to ride a baby mountain in Colombia (14km from 2600m up to 3300m) it was on the Coppi KSC with the Campag kit given to me so the whole nostalgia thing, famous names, shiny kit and heritage thing undoubtedly added to the whole special feeling. But all in my head and no reason I couldn't have done the same ride on a £600 Specialized with Tiagra or Apex.

I suspect I am one of many who would happily take the Chorus kit off your hands and humiliate ourselves by putting it onto our bikes!
  • thespanishadam
    thespanishadam Posts: 341
    edited June 2013
    Buy the Sram.. :roll:

Can I be first in the queue to take the Chorus off your hands?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Are you mad?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo