Photochromic glasses that don't mist up

gloomyandy
gloomyandy Posts: 520
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking for some glasses with photochromic (or whatever other name they may have), that don't mist up. Would prefer the frames to be simple black/white/grey. I have some cheapish ones from Planet-X and the lenses work great but they mist up very badly. Have looked at Radars etc. but they only seem to come in bright colours with a photochromic lens but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place! Anyone recommend anything?

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Oakley Radar!! Mine are white frames.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    uvex sgl202 race. got some a few weeks ago and very rarely even notice that they are there.
    as oppoed to my old dhb ones that i would have to take off on every hill to see where i was going.
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • gloomyandy
    Couldn't find any Radars for sale with Photochromic lenses that had white (or black/silver frames). Got any pointers for a good place to look? Will take a look at the uvex ones. Thanks.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Have looked at Radars etc. but they only seem to come in bright colours with a photochromic lens but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place!

How about these?

4bc5c8f02e01f.jpg

http://uk.oakley.com/products/5714/25566
  • Paul-Posh
    Paul-Posh Posts: 31
    Oakley website.

They let you customise your own Radars. Not the cheapest option, but I'm not sure you can get cheap photochromic Oakley's anyway.
  • gloomyandy
    Thanks for the links. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and pay the full Oakley price. Was hoping to find a better deal if possible. Also would be interested in any more non-Oakley options (Salice? Rudy Project?).
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Move your current glasses down your nose when you stop. Push them back up before moving off.

Sorted.

If on the other hand you are looking for pimp glasses, Oakley........... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I bought a pair of Tifosi photochromics from my LBS.

£60 and they are brilliant.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Rudy Project, Rydon Impactx photochromic.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... x-09-34786
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Flasher wrote:

Yep, just ordered a pair of these in red tint. :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    With Oakleys, I think the vented Radar/Radarlock Path lenses are the ones to look at to avoid misting up.
  • gloomyandy
    Hi Matt, did you find a good deal on the Rudy projects? I like the look of them!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    You can get some anti-mist stuff from muc-off (I think). Spray it onto your glasses every week. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodDEoAeA

Lot of bottles for the price of a pair of Oakleys!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Hi Matt, did you find a good deal on the Rudy projects? I like the look of them!

I suggest not going for the Photohromic AND Polarised ones, I have some but never use them in the wet, you just cant tell when you hit water if the water is there cos its sat in a pothole or something... I reminded myself of this the other day and it was a lottery what I was cycling into.

Brilliant glasses but not for riding in the wet. Photochromic 'only' versions won't be a problem, nor a problem if you only use them in the dry.
  • MattC59
    gloomyandy wrote:

I got them from Wiggle: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rudy-project-rydon-sunglasses-impactx-photolaser/
    Not sure if its the best price, but I got additional discount 'cause I spend too much money with them :oops: :lol:

The lens colour is really good.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I wish I could convince myself that all these £150+ glasses are worth it, but I'm struggling. I'm pretty sure I'd only lose/break them anyway.

I don't usually wear glasses - isn't sweat/mist/rain a problem?!
  • gloomyandy
    Yep sweat/rain/mist is a problem. But on many of the roads I ride on, insects and the occasional overhanging branch are more of an issue! Obviously a simple clear lens will fix this problem, but I find my eyes get pretty sore after a long day out in bright light.

I think I'm going to go with a pair of the Rudy Project Rydons I've managed to try a pair belonging to a mate and they fit me really well.

Thanks for all of the input.
  • anonmouse
    anonmouse Posts: 102
    Got a pair of Oakley Radars in black with photochromatic lenses for £80 last month, just trawl through some bike shops and see if they have any of last years for cheap. Worked for me.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I wish I could convince myself that all these £150+ glasses are worth it, but I'm struggling. I'm pretty sure I'd only lose/break them anyway.

I don't usually wear glasses - isn't sweat/mist/rain a problem?!

Berni I would rather ride without a helmet than ride without glasses. Just one tiny bug will temporarily blind you and cause excruciating pain in your eye. Not worth the risk.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have Radar's with normal lenses and they're very nice but I find my Rudy Project rydon impactx photochromic ones more comfy, vent as well and optically I can't tell any difference. The only plus point the Radar's have is the slightly deeper lens options (I've had stuff flicked up under my Rydons). I'm actually looking at getting Uvex sgl202 vario race's now as well as I like the frameless top design (I find when I'm descending tucked in the top frame on both the Radar's and Rydon's is intrusive).
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Yep, just ordered a pair of these in red tint. :D

The Rydons arrived today and first impressions are excellent, but test ride will be tonight. Lens tint is good, anti-glare coating seems good, can't comment on photochromatic response yet.
    The fit is excellent and the nose bridge is adjustable, so you can get them to fit as closely to your face as you want.

More importantly, I look ace in them :lol:
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    nferrar wrote:
    I'm actually looking at getting Uvex sgl202 vario race's now as well as I like the frameless top design (I find when I'm descending tucked in the top frame on both the Radar's and Rydon's is intrusive).

You could try the Radar/Radarlock XL. The bit between the nose bridge and frame is bigger, which might remove the frame from your field of vision. Think they were designed with TT riders in mind.

502932006af36.jpg