Fulcrum Zero rim collapse

carrock
carrock Posts: 1,103
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
so I was merrily cycling uphill at about 10mph when I heard what sounded like a gunshot. I thought initially my tyre had blown out or the tube had blown off the rim but on closer inspection the rear rim of my Fulcrum Zero had delaminated along a 300mm length- see pic.

wheel_zpsc21b5839.jpg

Now even allowing for the fact I am 100kg, this shouldn't happen.

I bought the bike 2nd hand with these wheels fitted, but even so the bike has hardly been used.

The wheel does have a slightlip on the edge, so there is some wear where the rear pads have tracked, but thought rims last tens of thousands of miles before wearing thin enough to break.

Still at least it didn't happen 5 minutes earlier when I was descending at 40mph ....

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Nothing to do with your weight... you went over the wear limit... I have loads of rims like that in my rim graveyard
    left the forum March 2023
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    A case of buyer beware.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Look at the remaining rim it will be a bit concave. Retiring rims when the wall thickess is less than 0.9mm is always a good idea.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I normally go on about factory wheels, but in this case hand built are no different... pass the wear limit and that happens. I am 99% sure the wheels came with plenty of warnings in that respect... people never read them, as most of the warnings are rubbish... but rim wear is real

As usual, I end up quoting my blog

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... t-too-much
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I normally go on about factory wheels, but in this case hand built are no different... pass the wear limit and that happens. I am 99% sure the wheels came with plenty of warnings in that respect... people never read them, as most of the warnings are rubbish... but rim wear is real

This^

I had a rear Aksium collapse on me last year. i'd ridden 1000's miles on it and it and I initially thought my 95kg had finished it off. Actually the rim was just sh@gged and had eventually become paper thin and split.

If the OP is worried about wheels generally I suggest he contact Paolo above. I have the most splendid set of handbuilt wheels by him that I only got to ride out on a couple of weeks ago and have put 300 miles on since.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ugo.santalucia

This^

I had a rear Aksium collapse on me last year. i'd ridden 1000's miles on it and it and I initially thought my 95kg had finished it off. Actually the rim was just sh@gged and had eventually become paper thin and split.

If the OP is worried about wheels generally I suggest he contact Paolo above. I have the most splendid set of handbuilt wheels by him that I only got to ride out on a couple of weeks ago and have put 300 miles on since.

Glad you stretched your tubs in the sun of the isle of Man finally... tackled any cobbles yet?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

This^

Glad you stretched your tubs in the sun of the isle of Man finally... tackled any cobbles yet?

I'm so protective of them I'm still riding around the puddles! seriously though we have lots of very poor and grainy tarmac and these wheels just roll so perfectly over it. Cobbles next year!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • carrock
    OK just worn out then. here is a better pic with the wheel off

P1010172-2_zpsd5728bd7.jpg
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Look at the remaining rim it will be a bit concave. Retiring rims when the wall thickess is less than 0.9mm is always a good idea.

The Shimano C24 rim is only 0.7 to start with.
  • ugo.santalucia
    carrock wrote:
    OK just worn out then. here is a better pic with the wheel off

P1010172-2_zpsd5728bd7.jpg

Yes, only wear, I can see from here the rest of the rim is very concave. I understand you got a scare , but really you only got yourself to blame for not checking the rims, it's not Fulcrum's fault.
    It is textbook, all the rims I have seen collapsing for wear, do so in exactly the same fashion. Next time get rims with more obvious wear indicators. Dt Swiss 465 is a rim with wear indicators dotted all around it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Dt Swiss RR465 are excellent rims as well. I se these alot and they bilt p very well indeed. The rims surface is not too soft so it will last a few miles as well. but like rims check for wear! For one local club rider it has happened to him twice. You would think after the first time he would have learnt. Maybe he has now.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • carrock
    thanks for advice.

I have inspected the front rim ( which normally bears the brunt of the braking effort ) and that is looking worn.

ftwheel_zpsfac70032.jpg

Given that I-ride ( fulcrum distributor ) aren't showing these rims available as standalone items I may end up buying another set of wheels. Bugger.

Thanks for advice everybody
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Is there an idea how to find out the wear on flat tubular rims such as Campa Barcelona '92?
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=campag ... 24&bih=681

I don't know the inside diameter, so measuring the outside won't help.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Some advice on making your rims last longer, is to change any stock Shimano pads to Swisstop. Also, check the pads periodically for lodged in grit and metal shards.
  • carrock
    I have changed to koolstop salmons a few weeks ago, which seem softer. not soon enough though....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A salutary lesson for anyone buying 'used' wheels. My experience is that there are usually obvious signs to imminent rim failure - what feels like pulsing of the brakes, similar to a buckled wheel but the rim is still running true. For the OP, check with i-ride again as all Fulcrum rims are usually available as spares - but don't expect them to be cheap (like all factory wheels)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yes, the front rim is not safe to ride either. Rebuilding the wheels is a difficult task, as those rims are hardly in stock and very expensive, but you never know, worth asking anyway for a quote. Alternative rims at that spoke count are very very limited.

I suggest you go the hand built route next time, a 2 x rim replacement on alloy rims would have been a 140 pounds bill including labour, while now you are probably facing 3 times that
  • ugo.santalucia
    Mindermast wrote:
    Is there an idea how to find out the wear on flat tubular rims such as Campa Barcelona '92?
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=campag ... 24&bih=681

I don't know the inside diameter, so measuring the outside won't help.

Tubular rims don't explode, as the tyre does not pressure on the side wall, so you are safer there
  • carrock
    Monty Dog wrote:
    A salutary lesson for anyone buying 'used' wheels. My experience is that there are usually obvious signs to imminent rim failure - what feels like pulsing of the brakes, similar to a buckled wheel but the rim is still running true. For the OP, check with i-ride again as all Fulcrum rims are usually available as spares - but don't expect them to be cheap (like all factory wheels)

I think rims are £150 each plus £50 labour per wheel. So £400. I can buy a new wheelset for less than £700....,
  • ugo.santalucia
    carrock wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I think rims are £150 each plus £50 labour per wheel. So £400. I can buy a new wheelset for less than £700....,

50 per wheel is a bit dear, but yes, you get the picture... you can buy a top notch set of hand built wheels for less than 400 or you can make the same mistake, spend 700 and be in the same position in 5-10 K miles... the choice is in your hands