Anthem X 29er 2 2013

CrouchingPig
CrouchingPig Posts: 112
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
I've been tempted by a trail bike for some time, I spend atleast an hour per day looking at MTB's. Trying to fill the void by doing 3-5 decent(ish) rides on my road bike. It's fun, but not trail centre fun!
I really want to ride trail centres!

Anyway, I popped into my LBS, and they've offered me a Giant Anthem X 29er 2 for £1,650 with a set of DMR V8 mags thrown in too. Good deal?
I test rode it, a Medium, and it felt fairly long (even though I'm 5 11"!), but it was lovely and smooth. Felt like it would be comfy enough for the 30-40 mile stints I'd be doing on it.

I was originally toying with the idea of buying a Lapierre Zesty as I like the look of them (but never tested as no-where local stocks them! :evil: ), I'm not so keen on the looks of the Anthem, but it was a pleasure to ride and could see it being quick round the trails!

Something that I wasnt too keen on was the Avid Elixir 1's that are included on this model.
They seem to pull half way to the bar, I prefer brakes to feel solid almost instantly as I press, is this something thats a trait of Elixir 1's, or could the LBS resolve this?

Any feedback welcome,
I'm just becoming desperate to ride Bedgebury and any other local(ish) trails to me.
Norco Sight C7.2
Giant Defy 1 Disc

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I'm no expert, but the Anthem's more of an XC bike than trail centre tool - it'll do both, but it's steeper geometry could get a bit lairy on the descents. I briefly tested a Zesty 314 this week and it felt really good - plush suspension and lively ride, but the Formula brakes felt p*ss poor. All the bikes I've looked at with Avid Elixirs seem to have the trait you described - too much lever travel for my liking.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bedgebury is about as flat as you can get. Anything will handle it, and most other riding in the south.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    It be rocky up here in t'north, lol...
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    My elixir 1's aren't great, but they stop the bike well enough. Just look at them as something to upgrade when they start giving bother. They'll do we'll enough for the first year
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    I have Elixir 5s on my Scott and managed to adjust them so they bite at the very beginning of lever throw. Avid call slack part of the lever travel the deadband and have a procedure for reducing it by advancing the pad position. Quote below from one of their tech docs. You can skip step two as you won't have the Pad Contact-Point Adjustment.
    ADVANCING THE PAD POSITION
    Note: If lever pulls to the bar a bleed is not necessarily required.
    1. Remove wheel or red plastic pad spacer insert
    from disc brake caliper.
    2. If your brake has Pad Contact-Point Adjustment,
    rotate the adjuster to the full “out” position. Now
    it’s in the most open position (short deadband).
    3. Squeeze the brake lever slowly several times
    while watching the brake pads move toward each
    other. Stop when you see an approximate 1 mm
    gap between the pads.
    4. Insert the red plastic pad spacer between the
    pads. The pads will be a little hard to push apart,
    so use some force to properly spread them to the
    correct position. Now, remove the spacer again.
    5. Install wheels with rotors mounted to bicycle
    and give the lever a squeeze. The brake pads
    should now be properly advanced to the correct
    position, and the brake lever will have a proper
    firm feel. Repeat if necessary.

This worked on my friends Elixir 7s too so no reason why it shouldn't work for the lower range of brakes.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I'm no expert, but the Anthem's more of an XC bike than trail centre tool - it'll do both, but it's steeper geometry could get a bit lairy on the descents.

The Anthem 29er is a fine trail centre bike, and it works very well for all-day epics, speaking as an owner. The extra wheel diameter makes it feel more slack than the geometry would have you beleive. Whether it's right for the OP is a different question, but he's ridden it and likes it. Mine certaily isn't as nimble as my 26er, but outside of trail-centre singletrack it's not actually an issue for me (centres do give a distorted view of riding, IMO) and the thing will just eat the miles - I can see why so many race on the 29er wheel size (but I can also see why harder core riders won't like them).

I think the price the LBS is offering is quite good, and given the money, I think I would have gone for the 2 over the 3. Having ridden both I like the SRAM 2x10 set up, and the IMV the Rock Shox set up is better (and seemingly more durable) than the Fox evo CTD combo on the 3. Yes, the Avid brakes were dire, but the low spec Shimanos on the 3 weren't a lot better, so I budgeted to get them upgraded - and a set of Deores really make a difference.

About the only way you'll get it cheaper is when Pauls cycles start discounting them, then you run a big risk of not being able to get the size you want (hence I ended up buying full price).

And yeah, they ain't pretty (hidoues colour-schemes), but I can't see it when I'm riding it!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • CrouchingPig
    I don't have an issue with the colouring on the X 29er 2, grey and white, its probably the pick of the bunch for frame decals for me out of the other Giant Anthems.

Call me mad, but when spending close to £2k on a bike, I'd hope that I wouldn't need to upgrade anything on it, except wearing items, chain, pads etc.

May take another look and mention the above post on advancing the pad, I can't stand brakes pinching your knuckles under hard braking.
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Call me mad, but when spending close to £2k on a bike, I'd hope that I wouldn't need to upgrade anything on it, except wearing items, chain, pads etc.

You'd like to think, yet here we are. :lol:

All told, without mods, the X2 is a great ride, no doubt. I personally couldn't live with the brakes, though, so I changed 'em.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kowalski675
    Clank wrote:
    I'm no expert, but the Anthem's more of an XC bike than trail centre tool - it'll do both, but it's steeper geometry could get a bit lairy on the descents.

The Anthem 29er is a fine trail centre bike

Guess it depends which trail centres, but (especially as a newbie) it's certainly not what I'd choose for Gisburn or Stainburn (the ones I know). Yes, it'll do it, but other bikes would be more suited.
  • CrouchingPig
    Just seen Wiggle has some much higher specced "Felt Edict" bikes for a similar price, all be it last years model.
    Carbon frame, XT parts, Fox shocks for £1,800 or a Carbon frame, XT / SLX mix and Rock Shox for approx. £1,500.

Fairly tempting although, I can't try one out in the flesh!
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Have you checked out Paul's Cycles? Some fantastic bargains on there at the moment.

I've not ridden an Anthem 29'er, but just for info, my Yeti is a lot more fun at trail centres than my Anthem. The Anthem is quicker overall around Swinley, as it's better for climbing, but The Yeti is a lot more fun and confidence inspiring. Have you tried a Trance? I'd say that would be better for trail centre stuff than an Anthem.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant make excellent bikes, I have had a few and have a 26" Anthem at the moment but their complete bikes are very poor value. They come with very low spec components for the price. The Anthem is fine for trail centres, I tried the 29er before I got my 26" bike and it does climb better but doesn't steer as nicely so it's up to you which you would prefer but for trail centres I would take the nicer steering of the 26" bike. As for the Trance being better I would disagree, I have had both and there is very little in it between them, the Anthem will leave you felling fitter for a third of fourth lap.
    Most trail centres are so smooth and overly groomed that I don't think rear suspension will give any advantage.
  • Kowalski675
    Most trail centres are so smooth

They must be different down there then, lol.