Tyre Advice

gaz79
gaz79 Posts: 28
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
I'm in dire need of a new set of tyres and would appreciate some advice. I bought a Carrera Gryphon in January and the tyres have just about given up the ghost and I'm getting a ridiculous amount of punctures.
My current tyres are 700x28c, I have a 16 mile round trip and a puncture resistant tyre is my main priority. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers.

Comments

• Schwalbe marathon plus seem to be the tyre of choice round here for puncture resistance, but they are quite heavy. I've had them for 3 years and have had one puncture in that time when I left the rear one on too long and wore through the tyre :oops:
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    Schwalbe marathon plus seem to be the tyre of choice round here for puncture resistance, but they are quite heavy. I've had them for 3 years and have had one puncture in that time when I left the rear one on too long and wore through the tyre :oops:

+1

schwalbe are excellent - I ran the Marathon plus ones on my hybrid for 3 years no punctures nothing commute was 30 miles rt on 'B'B & 'C' roads in all weathers all year round
  • Ed.
    Ed. Posts: 14
    +1 for the gatorskins - I'm not sure if they do the hardcase version in that size? But I run them in the 700x23 version and haven't had a puncture since i put them on about 6 months ago.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Gaz79 wrote:
    I have a 16 mile round trip and a puncture resistant tyre is my main priority.
    Marathon plus is the most puncture resistant. They are so heavy though. Like an extra 1.4KG for a pair compared to some foldable gatorskins.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Schwalbe marathon plus seem to be the tyre of choice round here for puncture resistance, but they are quite heavy

I have those on my tourer, they're good winter tyres but weigh something like 750g and are murder to get on and off a rim (see all the youtube videos related to that!). I have Specialized Roubaix Pro tyres on two of my bikes now, a third the weight and yet to puncture one. Good grip in all conditions and I can get them on and off without tyre levers.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!