Finlaz22 Posts: 169
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Carbon and Ultegra for under £1200? No, you didn't hear wrong :shock:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FBP ... -272125181

Comments

• Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I even like the colour! :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    At least its a proper ultegra kit, I like it.
    Living MY dream.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Sorry, but I just don't see the value in going carbon frame and ultegra only to put a wheelset weighing 2kg on it :|

Not a bad deal, but not stonking.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Finlaz22
    KonkyWonky wrote:
    Sorry, but I just don't see the value in going carbon frame and ultegra only to put a wheelset weighing 2kg on it :|

That's a bit of a fad comment to be fair. If it were under £2000 with a great wheelset on it as well you would have to discredit the integrity of the design. Besides, spend a few hundred quid or transfer your current wheels across and you've got a superb bike. Better than Planet X money-saving on the frame or groupset etc...
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    KonkyWonky wrote:

That's a bit of a fad comment to be fair. If it were under £2000 with a great wheelset on it as well you would have to discredit the integrity of the design. Besides, spend a few hundred quid or transfer your current wheels across and you've got a superb bike. Better than Planet X money-saving on the frame or groupset etc...

Which part? You can't argue the wheelset sucks.

I said it wasn't a bad deal, but you can find a quality AL frameset as opposed to budget carbon framest with lighter wheels and ultegra at the same price point.

What if you don't have a current wheelset? A few hundred quid on a wheel upgrade doesn't make it look quite the same buy.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A lot of far more expensive bikes have "lesser" wheels too.

Maybe it's a way of keeping the costs down or maybe it's because people might have decent wheels that will transfer over.
  • Finlaz22
    Wheels are easier and cheaper to upgrade than a frame or groupset. In fairness, a caad10 ultegra is only marginally cheaper but not lighter.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    looks a great buy for the money, as already said, just replace the wheels. nice.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Good value indeed - looks however are very uninspiring.

That blue reminds me of old council house bathroom suites of the 70's :-)

I suppose you can't have everything.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    smidsy wrote:
    Good value indeed - looks however are very uninspiring.

That blue reminds me of old council house bathroom suites of the 70's :-)

I suppose you can't have everything.

Teal blue? I quite liked that colour....on bathroom suites I mean.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Very good value for money but its not a looker in any way shape or form.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Finlaz22
    you've ruined the colour for me now haha!
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    I see they have bought the old stock room from Merckx, so that could be some of the value saving. It is worth checking out their back range of Merckx stuff ........... might be a couple of years old but the prices are super low.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    How much difference is there between a budget and mud level carbon frame?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It's all marketing. Gropsets sell a bike not wheels. However the wheels/tyres will make a bigger difference to the ride than the gropset will. So spend £1200 but then you spend another £400 on wheels and tyres that is commensrate with the groupset makes no sense to me. Those tyres fitted are shocking and round here would be shreded by all the flints on the roads. It's like riding over sharp knives sometimes. So there is another £60 on tyres straightaway.

If I was buying a £1200 I would rather see wheels/tyres that are appropriate and a cheaper groupset on the bike at least them I would not have to go out and spend more money imediately. Poor value for money imo. But unfortnatley it how the bike market works and tricks like this sell bikes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Agree that the colour is rubbish. Also PX graphics etc are most uninspiring, particularly when compared to something like a Cube. The overall effect is a bike that looks like it was made in a Communist country.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I like this and think it is good value however I bought a Cinelli Saetta last year (still available via Wiggle). Mine had 105 (ultegra has marginal gains over 105). Bike cost me a grand, sold the RS10s it came with for £100, bought some elites and i have a great CF bike with 105 and elites for £1300 (easily worth £2k on paper). My point is the PX is good value but why would you want a good value bike when for the same money you can aquire something with a lot more class?

FWIW i know the frames are well reviewed but when i saw one in the flesh i was amazed how small the various tube sections were compared to say a Tarmac. The frames do flex if you are heavy and my LBS (who sells PX) tried to steer me away from this model hence the reason i never bought one.

Dont get me wrong these are good bikes but are at the lower end of the spectrum IMO.