Ultegra 10spd or 11spd

triban
triban Posts: 149
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm Thinking of buying a Wilier...

i could get an ixoard Ultegra 10spd now, or wait a few months and get the new GTR Ultegra 11spd.

Looks wise the GTR wins, so i will probably buy that anyway :roll: , but...

i have a triple now, and i'm a poor climber at the moment (still got some weight to lose :wink: ) so i'm thinking that maybe the 11spd will be a better option for me?

does anyone have experience using 10spd and 11spd?
What would you recommend?

thanks.

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    It may be me, but I don't think the upper and lower sprocket sizes get bigger on 11spd, so ultimately there won't be much difference to the ease of climbing. If you are struggling it is the size of the largest rear that governs what you have to fall back on, and I don't see any difference in Ultegra 11.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    edited June 2013
    If you can wait, then wait. I was never a big fan of 6700, 7900 shifting was fine but didnt think they did a good job with 6700. I have been mainly riding 9000 mechanical recently and it is a fantastic groupset. If the improvements trickle down 9000 to 6800, then 6800 will be a material improvement on 6700. The move to 11 speed is not a big factor, it is the improvement in the gear shifts. If they get that right in 6800 then it will be worth the wait
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    symo wrote:
    It may be me, but I don't think the upper and lower sprocket sizes get bigger on 11spd, so ultimately there won't be much difference to the ease of climbing. If you are struggling it is the size of the largest rear that governs what you have to fall back on, and I don't see any difference in Ultegra 11.

The lowest gear you can get on 10 speed (6700) is a triple running 30 / 30, which gives you a ratio of 1.00
    AFAIK you can't get 6800 in triple so the lowest you'd get is 34 / 32, which gives yo a ratio of 1.06

So actually there's very little in it in terms of low gears. So it comes down to the choice of triple or compact.
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    Thanks everyone :D .

Sounds Like the 11spd with the 11/32 would give me a similar range to my tripple where i need it then...

I did also just read that the 6800 is taking a lot of tech from the Dura ace which as you say, can only be a good thing.

I think i'll wait.

Cheers.