Disk vibration Noise

ashleyyyy2011
ashleyyyy2011 Posts: 56
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a set of Elixir 3 disks, 160mm rotors, standard OEM pads. I'm Racing at the QE cyclefest in the Stevens enduro this weekend and need some advice.

When they get hot they make what i can only describe as a wailing noise, this is not the squel in wet weather i'm talking about, they do that too and i'm not bothered as they work. This other noise only happens after hard braking, which is when the disks are hot, if i carry on riding (without braking) the noise will go away, i'm guessing as the heat goes.

I thought it might be because they are warped because there is a slight rub when they pass the pads. I haven't investigated this too far yet but i need to pull my finger out and get it sorted.

Any ideas? Need to crack on with this asap.

Cheers Ash
I can ride my bike with no handlebars...no handlebars... no handlebars
and i can split the atom of a molecule... of a molecule... of a molecule

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do they work fine?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds perfectly normal if that is the only symptom!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Did a race at the weekend, i checked all the bolt torques before i started, after 4hrs they were working fine but i thought i could feel some vibrations under braking, but checked after and all the screws are tight. The noise was still present in the usual places so i'm not sure.

Any other ideas?
  • The Rookie
    Rule #5
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rule #5?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Words to the effect of MTFU.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Words to the effect of MTFU.

cant argue with that. good advice
  • The Rookie
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

93 rules

the best rules are fight club.

the first rule of cycling is " DONT TALK ABOUT DISK BRAKES AND NOISES" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    the second rule of cycling is "DONT TALK ABOUT DISK BRAKES AND NOISES"
    the third rule of cycling is "THE TOPIC IS OVER WHEN YOU GET MOCKED BY A FILM REFERENCE "
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Hi,

I have a set of Elixir 3 disks, 160mm rotors, standard OEM pads. I'm Racing at the QE cyclefest in the Stevens enduro this weekend and need some advice.

When they get hot they make what i can only describe as a wailing noise, this is not the squel in wet weather i'm talking about, they do that too and i'm not bothered as they work. This other noise only happens after hard braking, which is when the disks are hot, if i carry on riding (without braking) the noise will go away, i'm guessing as the heat goes.

I thought it might be because they are warped because there is a slight rub when they pass the pads. I haven't investigated this too far yet but i need to pull my finger out and get it sorted.

Any ideas? Need to crack on with this asap.

Cheers Ash

Are you getting the same issue both on front and rear ? If not, swap the rotors round to see if the problem follows it. I've experience similar issues, but not with both brakes - that would be strange. Have you considered cleaning up the rotor with emery paper, fitting new pads, and then making sure they're properly bedded in etc.. ? Also, check that the caliper is aligned correctly. Don't do this by loosening the bolts, squeezing the levers and then tightening the bolts again, but by removing the pads and aligning it dead parallel to the rotor ? You may need to reseat the pistons after doing this.