New bike advise/opinions please

mc6701
mc6701 Posts: 2
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker but 1st time post on the forum so please be nice :D

So looking to buy a new bike currently ride a 2011 (or is it 2010) Cube Peloton and looking to upgrade to something carbon budget £1800 (unless there is something just over that i fall in love with but MAX MAX is £2k :oops: )

The type of riding i do is socal 40-80 km rides with a few mates and the occasional sportive of 140-160 km with an average of 24-28 kph and covering about 5500 km a year. No racing just fitness and fun stuff.

I'm 5'7"ish and 14.5 stone (92kg / 203lb) so not a typical racing snake cyclist build.......anyway been looking at bikes and have a few short listed so would value some advise / opinions of the following.

1st off is the 2012 BMC Road Racer SL01
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/roadracer-sl01-105-compact-2012-road-bike-ec031062
This is £1600

2nd is a Cube Agree GTC pro which cost around £1600

3rd a Ribble as spec'ed below

Ribble R872 Carbon Road Frame 48cm C to top
Groupset - Shimano 105 (5700) Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
Wheels - Mavic Ksyrium Elite S Clincher Wheels / Tyre System Pair M10 Shim
Handlebars - ITM Pathom Full Carbon 44cm
Handlebar Stem - ITM Pathom Carbon Black 70mm
Headset Spacers - ITM Headset Spacer Carbon 1 1/8" 10mm
Saddle - Selle Italia X1 Man Saddle Black
Seatpillar - ITM Triango Wing Carbon Seatpillar Black 31.6 350mm
Handlebar Tape - ITM Cork Embossed Handlebar Tape Black
Price excluding Pedals: £1,684.92

All similar in spec drive chain wise but the Ribble has better wheels and carbon finishing kit also i like the look of the Ribble and the BMC and i don't see any of them around my area so would be a bit different which i also like.
But the only one i can have a go on is the Cube unless i want to drive a few hundred miles for a test ride.

Also a bit concerned with wheels, as i'm not the lightest of riders, had to replace my stock easton ones with Mavic open pro's on 105 hubs as kept breaking the rear so would the wheels on the above bikes support my weight??

So any advice or other suggestions would be truly appreciated. :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Comments

• Just as a point of interest the gtc pro shud be around 1400 quid, the gtc race is around 1600. I think u will find the agree the more comfortable and more of a cruiser, the other 2 more race focussed, particularly the Ribble?
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Id wait to see if Canyon do a sale during the tdf and look at this http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3087 ...if that came in at 2k its got good wheels for the money and a great groupset.