Planet X wheelsets

rstabler11
rstabler11 Posts: 67
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
This week planet X carbon wheels are reduced from £500 to £370. Any reason not to pull the trigger? (I weigh 90kg).

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,171
    For posing or for Time trials etc?
    left the forum March 2023
  • rstabler11

Crits / posing / time trials in that order of importance.
  • ugo.santalucia
    rstabler11 wrote:

Crits / posing / time trials in that order of importance.

Depends on the racing... if there are lots of bends and accelerations, I would avoid deep section and get some wide clincher instead... HED ardennes for factory wheels or Velocity A 23 if you want bespoke... for posing, well, you know what you like, but in 2013 PX Carbon Clinchers no longer have a WOW factor, I'm afraid... 5 years ago maybe, but now everybody have some form of carbon wheels and if you don't have the latest Firecrest people will think you are on benefits...

For TT they might have a point, even in the clincher format
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    in 2013 PX Carbon Clinchers no longer have a WOW factor, I'm afraid... 5 years ago maybe, but now everybody have some form of carbon wheels and if you don't have the latest Firecrest people will think you are on benefits...

Quote of the year :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    smidsy wrote:
    in 2013 PX Carbon Clinchers no longer have a WOW factor, I'm afraid... 5 years ago maybe, but now everybody have some form of carbon wheels and if you don't have the latest Firecrest people will think you are on benefits...

Quote of the year :lol:

Well, it's true though... it is a very shallow and snobbish world that of road cycling... every club in the country has at least a dozen members with 8K worth of bicycle and unless you own something truly lavish the posing factor will be close to zero. On the other hand, you can turn up on a refurbished 1950s single speed with wood rims and you'll be the coolest thing they've ever seen
  • smidsy
    I never doubted it ugo, I agree.

There was a time such things worried me, now I just smile to myself knowing how much money they have spent and how much money they could have saved.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rstabler11
    I couldn't find the ardennes for sale but the BR review suggests they are many many £££ (£1k for the set) so that's not really an option. Obviously its difficult to find prices for handbuilt wheels but the Velocities look like they are closer to my price range (although no idea what hubs and spokes would equate to the PX ones)...

I guess I'll keep thinking about it and not spend the ££ right away.

Thanks for help,
    Rob

EDIT:

Also I should probably add that I was interested in deep rims as much because I heard they were stronger (and I'm quite heavy) as because of their bling factor. Do you know if this is true or not, and should it be a consideration?

Thanks,
    Rob
  • I have no will power.

Started time trialing and just bought the 50/82 wheel set.

Seemed good value to me but i shall see.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you want a strong rim, probably something like Velocity Deep V is a good bet. Archetype is a pretty stiff rim too. Carbon rims... well, carbon clinchers of various nature are not particularly strong.
    Hand built come in all prices, something of the Planet X level, so Novatec hubs will probably be around 280-300 pounds with alloy rims and decent hubs
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I have the planet x 52mm clinchers and they're very good for the money.

I've gone through four £500 wheelsets in the last couple of years and I'd say as an all around wheel planet x are the best I've had.
  • I have the planet x 52mm clinchers and they're very good for the money.

I've gone through four £500 wheelsets in the last couple of years and I'd say as an all around wheel planet x are the best I've had.

£2k on wheels in a couple of years? Why?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smidsy
    OP - also make sure you get a decent spoke count wheelset if you are concerned about strength/your weight. A strong rim will be a relatively weak wheel if you get it with 16/20 spokes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    I have the planet x 52mm clinchers and they're very good for the money.

£2k on wheels in a couple of years? Why?

He's 38st
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Destroying people on more expensive equipment, and then watching them trying to blame anything other than their poor fitness is the best.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.