why does my 1x9 chain keep coming off...?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
seem to have lost the original post :?

anyway, it was something along the lines of - chain comes off top guide when peddling fast and changing up through the cassette.

With this setup;

IMG_20130612_211935.jpg

IMG_20130612_211914.jpg
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The main issue is probably your technique for changing gears, but it could all be fixed if you just fitted a full-coverage guide, rather than that bash-ready one.
  • felix.london
    warpcow wrote:
    The main issue is probably your technique for changing gears, but it could all be fixed if you just fitted a full-coverage guide, rather than that bash-ready one.

Technique for changing gears?..come off it!

Yes - full top guide would obviously fix this but was wandering if anyone had any other suggestions...

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Pretty sure it just happens.

Short of a front guide or mech. Deeper toothed chain ring and clutch stylle mech.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448

Yes - full top guide would obviously fix this but was wandering if anyone had any other suggestions...

Ok, maybe not "the main issue", but it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really. With that setup, you can't shift mutiple gears under full power, which is what you seemed to be describing in the OP before the edit, and expect the chain to stay in place. Easiest would be to buy your way out of it: a clutch mech, full top guide or combination of these as Chunkers suggested.
  • felix.london
    warpcow wrote:

Ok, maybe not "the main issue", but it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really. With that setup, you can't shift mutiple gears under full power, which is what you seemed to be describing in the OP before the edit, and expect the chain to stay in place. Easiest would be to buy your way out of it: a clutch mech, full top guide or combination of these as Chunkers suggested.

Yeah - understood. "buy your way out of it" I guess full top guide is going to be the cheapest option (or fit a bash guard)

Cheers.

Not sure what's happened to my lovely photos...will try and put em back

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a guide ring will fix it.

thiner than a bash and lighter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    nicklouse wrote:

Guide ring = full top guide?

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope a guide ring rather than an outer ring or bash.

rockrings.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My 1x9 runs an inner and outer guide rings, the outer is a lightweight bash (80g) the inner I cut from a piece of ebay carbon fibre that cost me £11.76 delivered (some left over!).

Yours was always going to come off as there is nothing on the outside to prevent it, that guide is cut away to run a bash (or outer guide ring) for a reason!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nicklouse wrote:

+Potato. What you have there is only half a guide.
    Apply some critical thinking for a minute, and it will become apparent that there's no way in hell that thing will keep a chain in place!
  • You can order the bottom roller and top guide from Superstar for £15 I believe. Just order the ones which are meant for use without a bash guard.
    Delete my fucking account.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Exactly as above, the chain guide you have there is the one that is meant to be used with a bash guard which the sandwiches the chain.

Buy the top guide designed to be used without a bashguard!