Company car problem

fielonator
fielonator Posts: 100
edited July 2013 in The hub
Howdy,

My wife has been offered a promotion at work and is likely to loose her company car, the new role doesn't require the use of one. This isn't a problem in itself but her work are saying that she'll be liable for the remainder of the lease payments above her car allowance. This is approximately £60 per month for the next 2 years.

This doen't seem right to me but before I give her some potentially unhelpful advice I thought best to check. I haven't read her contract either but I assumed that as she had been offered the new job and wasn't leaving her company that she'd be clear of liability.

If there's anyone with similar experience I'd appreciate some help.

Cheers.

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    That's pretty normal, albeit a bit harsh.

It might be worth seeing if someone else in the company wants the car - and will pay (say) half of the difference.
    Insert bike here:
  • fielonator
    fielonator Posts: 100
    Dammit! I might suggest that then, thanks.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    One thing to say though, usually they will make you sign a thing saying "I'll cover the overpayment on the lease if I leave/move jobs", if she hasn't, tell them to stick it :D
    Insert bike here:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    do you still want the car - if so are they willing to do a deal?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Fairly common thing, if you are moving companies. However surprised if she is staying within the same business. I would be negotiating not paying it as part of my package personally.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Russyh wrote:
    I would be negotiating not paying it as part of my package personally.

This first and failing that, then an employment solicitor to see if the terms were fair and enforceable.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read the contract to start with, no pointing jumping in anywhere else!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.