Wheel recommendation please

elffy
elffy Posts: 98
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Can anyone recommend me a decent clincher wheelset for approx £1500? I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death on the forum but I'm sure it's easier to ask than search through all the topics when dealing with a specific amount to spend.

Thanks

Comments

• pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    More information needed than just budget. Plenty out there.
  • elffy
    Sorry pkripper, what additional information would help in recommendation?
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Well, what you want to use them for would be a start.
  • elffy
    I'm just a novice cyclist who cycles a few charity events and a few sportives a year.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You don't have to spend £1500 to get a decent clincher. you can spend less than £250 for that or £500 or more. It is requirements that dicate that.

One chaps requirement recently has been for Mavic Open Pro's, Novatec hubs and Sapim Laser spokes/alloy nipplesand it cost well under £300 another customer had other requirements and his build is setting back over £500.

Can't see the point myself on £1500 wheel for a few sportives a year, but hey you may have the cash and may want the look of wheels that cost £1500. Just don't exepct £1500 wheels to perform much better than much cheaper wheels for the riding you are doing or to weigh any less. One of my many wheel sets weigh less than 1400g, are reliable (so far) and cost under £300 to customers. Weight is not everything though and there are downside to these wheels notably I dare not ride them in wet/filthy weather and I must use soft brake pads or else!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    elffy wrote:
    I'm just a novice cyclist who cycles a few charity events and a few sportives a year.

That's a bit like saying 'I'm just a novice car driver who likes to go for the odd weekend drive - what Ferrari should I buy'! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mavics
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Its a wind up
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • elffy
    Its a wind up

Why would it be a wind up? I have a nice bike so I want some decent wheels hence I've asked the question.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    elffy wrote:
    Its a wind up

Why would it be a wind up? I have a nice bike so I want some decent wheels hence I've asked the question.
    Yeah, but circa £1500 is still a hell of a lot for a 'novice rider'. For that kind of money one would usually expect it to be a seasoned rider or racer looking to by something targeted to a particular aim.

Having said that my recommendation would be....
    Factory clincher: Mavic Ksyrium Elite (circa £380 rpp) best bang for bucks, Shimano dura ace wh-9000-c35 (£630)
    I don't race so I am in no position to advice on racing wheels. The above wheelsets are light and stiff enough for racing and long climbs, though not aero enough for TT and such.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Personally I'd be going Mavic, Fulcrum or handmade. I might buy locally too as wheels can go wrong! Any good wheelbuilder nearby? Also save some of that cash for top notch tyres.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.